Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I got my '56 it came with a whole radiator support and a spare top piece. Both had been modified where the radiator is.

I assumed the one in the car was for a '56 and now that I'm putting the inner fenders back I realized the side tins wouldn't fit the top bar and upon a bit of research it appears my radiator support is for a '55.

Looking closer at my spare top bar it appears this one is actually for a '56.

My question: Is the u-shaped saddle piece the same height in 1955 and 1956?

I figure I could cut off the '55 top pieces and replace them with the '56 top pieces, unless the saddle itself is a different height.

The other holes for the horn and side tin mounting I can add while I'm at it since it appears they are in different locations as well.

I know that it would be far easier to buy another radiator support, but I haven't found a used one locally and I'm on a super shoe-string budget with this build so I can't spring for a $200 new one, at least not yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phooey!! Maybe I'll have to hunt one down! :eviltongue:

Can anyone take a measurement off a '56 support? From the center of the bottom of the saddle part to the top of cross piece? Maybe I can chop this one up and make something work for now... :hmmmm2:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don, so what you're saying is the u-shaped saddle peice is the same all three years, only differences is the radiator location depending whether it's a six or V8?

If so, I can make what I have work! :happy0030:

·
Registered
37,239 Posts
The trouble you're going to have is that the filler pieces to the side of the radiator may not fit, especially the holes lining up. If you're willing to deal with that with a little drilling, or cutting/welding, it can all be made to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts