Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 210 post dressed as a Bel Air
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a copper heater core for my 57 sedan. I endured the summer heat without AC this summer, I will not be able to deal with winter and no heater or defroster. My car had sat for decades in a garage, (not a barn find, it was never lost). Shortly after getting it back on the road the heater core gave it up. I need to replace it but not with an aluminum pos from china. Having read the earlier post about crap quality reproduction I'm cautious about just find one and ordering it. Have any of you bought a copper core with any luck? If so, what vendor did you use? Winter is lurking and ready to pounce. I need protection. I wish a Vintage Air system was possible but can't see it for a year or two. I'm already cold.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, repairing radiators is like a dying art. It's all throw it away and buy new stuff. The last good radiator shop went out when the guy passed from old age. Guess I should do a google search and be willing to drive some to get it fixed.

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
10,893 Posts
I had a new fan incident where I only had the radiator bolts in loose. One little rev and a loud sound. Fan cut a slice in the lower tank and tiny leaks in two tubes. JB Weld is working great!

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Yeah, repairing radiators is like a dying art. It's all throw it away and buy new stuff. The last good radiator shop went out when the guy passed from old age. Guess I should do a google search and be willing to drive some to get it fixed.
C&L Radiator in Burlington, NC took care of me the last time I needed radiator repair. Worst case, I suppose you could give them a call. Note the sign that says they've been in business since 1949.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Steve, I have had excellent results with our last remaining local radiator shop. I say local, about 35 miles NW of me in Wichita. They re-cored my 71 Chevelle BBC radiator, (not cheap by the way, LO) and also repaired my original '57 radiator and pressure checked my original heater core before the re-build. A long shot I know but.....is your heater core a massive leak or just slow leak? Perhaps if you could give me some input on that I could call them and see what sort of luck they would have to re-core your original heater core. Worse case re-core or average repair cost. I got lucky on mine and it tested great, no leaks. Would involve shipping back and forth and such or I can also supply you with their shop business address and phone number for direct dealing with them. I'm not much for replacing with new if I can repair or have repaired an original part.

Bruce may have provided you with you best option. He replied while I was typing, I'm a slow typer, LOL.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steve, I have had excellent results with our last remaining local radiator shop. I'm not much for replacing with new if I can repair or have repaired an original part.
Bruce may have provided you with you best option. He replied while I was typing, I'm a slow typer, LOL.
Thanks, I've still got to pull mine out to see what it looks like. I did a google search and found two radiator shops over in Cape Girardeau, Mo. My son lives near Cape so I'm gonna check out my back yard stuff first. I really do appreciate your offer to help. It's a good feeling to know human kindness still lives. I'm going to check EastCoasts prices too. I found one place that wanted $229.00 and you have to send your old core first!!!
By the way, on that horn I'm working on, it sounds like someone is doing something unholy to a goose now. I'm going to try to clean those wire coils next. They look like they're glazed and maybe not letting enough current flow.?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Thanks, I've still got to pull mine out to see what it looks like. I did a google search and found two radiator shops over in Cape Girardeau, Mo. My son lives near Cape so I'm gonna check out my back yard stuff first. I really do appreciate your offer to help. It's a good feeling to know human kindness still lives. I'm going to check EastCoasts prices too. I found one place that wanted $229.00 and you have to send your old core first!!!
By the way, on that horn I'm working on, it sounds like someone is doing something unholy to a goose now. I'm going to try to clean those wire coils next. They look like they're glazed and maybe not letting enough current flow.?
I like down south of Cape near Kennett. There's a shop there I can check with for you. I have a good core from my 55 but I don't think they're the same

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Shadetree, the 57 is unique, 55 & 56 are the same but changed in 57. I'll check out what the Cape shops say first and see if I have any luck. There's a shop up in Marion Il I ought to check out but I never go that way much. I'll check with you if these places don't pan out, It's kind of crazy that repair isn't available but a lot of things are vanishing...seen any good shoe repair shops lately? We lost 2 great ones in the last few years and nobody takes their place. Ah well

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,015 Posts
I'll bet you pay more to have it recorded than a new aluminum one costs

Reactions: davidc

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The picture of the heater core above from facebook is definitely not from a '57 Chevy.
I bought a heater core for my '57 from Ecklers a while back and returned it because it was aluminum.
I got a copper one from Danchuk #12408 for $180 back in 2019. Not cheap.
Aluminum is too reactive a metal for my taste. Maintain proper coolant and it should be fine. Let it go way too long, and I've seen some real problems.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Thanks Shadetree, the 57 is unique, 55 & 56 are the same but changed in 57. I'll check out what the Cape shops say first and see if I have any luck. There's a shop up in Marion Il I ought to check out but I never go that way much. I'll check with you if these places don't pan out, It's kind of crazy that repair isn't available but a lot of things are vanishing...seen any good shoe repair shops lately? We lost 2 great ones in the last few years and nobody takes their place. Ah well
yeah, everything today is throw away technology as you said, shoe repair, TV repair even major appliance repair. Seems no one has kids who want to carry on family businesses. There was an upholstery shop in Kennett all my life and the owner died, his kids sold all equipment and the business and I have nowhere near me now who installs headliners so gonna have to tackle that job myself. This radiator guy is the grandson of the old man who repaired radiators pretty much all his life, Conder radiator service. BTW, when you get it apart be sure to pay attention to mounting plate as they tend to rust badly if core has leaked very long.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts