Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the Raingear wiper kit this morning. Works well.
For anyone considering installing the system, it was fairly easy to install. I removed the gauge cluster, glove box and defroster duct. Don't know if the defrosted duct was necessary, but I was rebuilding and painting the heater so wanted to blast and paint the duct anyway.
The directions with the wiper kit are not great, but everything is pretty straight foreword.
Encountered a problem with the wiper park position, it was 90 degrees off and the wipers parked at the outer edge of the windshield in a vertical position. Was an easy fix after looking at the motor linkage and figuring out how to adjust it.
If anyone has questions I would be happy to answer/help.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Didn't have too much of a problem with my Raingear. There is a support phone number to call that is very helpful. I did encounter a seating concern with my driver's side wiper head, but continued to tighten it and it worked out. I replaced the knob with a stock '55 wiper knob and it stripped out the set screw. Needing more torque to turn the rheostat type switch I re-drilled and tapped for a larger set screw. Works just fine. I got the model that has the intermittent control and LOVE it!!!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
j.foppe-

Actually the brace mounts at upper edge of firewall down to center of steering column.
The factory must have had some leftover material. With the support angling downward, it offers little vertical support. About all it would stop is side to side movement of the steering column, which is already taken care of by the column mount. Can't see any real purpose for the brace. Of course I installed on a 57, not sure about a 56?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a question about the Raingear setup. Why are you guys using the Raingear wiper system?
Is it because you want to remove the wiper motor from the firewall?

I'm going to try to avoid driving my car in the rain and if I get caught I will use the electric wiper motor and maybe even Rain-X.
Am I missing something by not using the Raingear setup?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I have a question about the Raingear setup. Why are you guys using the Raingear wiper system?
Is it because you want to remove the wiper motor from the firewall?
Several reasons for this.
1} As you mentioned to remove from firewall.
a) This could be due to smoothing
b) converting from factory vacuum unit
c) to allow clearance for a different engine from factory
d) to allow more room for a hei distributor
2} If you have manual vacuum unit not working cost wise to repair and still have a poor system
3} as above for failed factory electric it is cheaper and more reliable to replace with modern aftermarket unit.
The list goes on
I'm going to try to avoid driving my car in the rain and if I get caught I will use the electric wiper motor and maybe even Rain-X.
Am I missing something by not using the Raingear setup?
Good if you have the electric system to start with.
I am converting to Raingear for all the above reasons and more.
The instructions are not to bad but could be better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.