Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 2 inch drop spindles and one inch drop springs and 2 inch drop rear springs I have been having trouble dragging my headers.
I put new tri y headers on and a year ago or so I side mounted the engine, replaced the PO installed (if you can call it that :rolleyes: ) angle iron crossmember for the TH350.
All of that combined got me some more clearance, but I would still scrape from time to time.:confused0006:

I took a measurement for how much they needed to raise. About an inch and a half.
Determined the angle of the down pipes to be about 45 degrees and that to move them up I needed to cut about 2 inches out. Cut grind, weld, done.
So, if anything scrapes now it'll be the frame. :s:

Seemed to be just right.

They moved up the desired amount, but they also moved forward. (knew that would happen)
I just need to add about 3 inches to the exhaust pipes to fill the gap.
I'd just pull the whole thing forward, but the servos for the cutouts would hit the trans crossmember. :(
Getting there. I'll stop tomorrow and pick up a piece of tubing to cut, fit and weld in place and I should be good to go again.
I have good clearance between the top of the header and the floor.
These being tri y headers, there's only two pipes going down to the collector. If they were standard 4 tubes I wouldn't have been able to weld all of the pipes all the way around.
I would have just bought new headers.
So, it saved me a couple hundred bucks or more.
:tu
These were coated, but where I cut them you can't see it down in there and I hit the weld areas with some hi temp silver header paint.
They'll last long enough for me. :D

·
Registered
66,282 Posts
nice job jeff. :five:

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got one side done and the other side ready to finish weld. I made some turn-downs for the cutouts as well.

I also made this little thing.

It goes here.

I ought to make a mold from it before I attach it I guess.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Console is really cool..:congrats:

I have those same headers and i really like how well made they are. And the try-y design should work good with my street combo. My 56 sets a little higher then yours. so as it is now i dont think i will have to many problems. Not sure how it will set yet till i get all the glass in. And the suspension has a chance to set. So im not changing anything yet.

I was thinking the same thing cutting them and moving them up if i had to. There is only the two pipes instead of four so that helps.

Did your driver side hang lower then the passenger before you raised them?

Mike

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it did. I actually cut and moved it up to match the other side first.
I thought maybe that would be enough. But, no.
I got it all back together today and took it out for a drive.
So far so good. I think I may need to mess with the back end of the pipes a bit to try and get them up as much as I can now.
And I'll have to get it on some lumpy road to really test it.
And I forgot to plug one of the cut outs back in, so I only have one working right now.
I'll jack it up tomorrow and plug it back in. Jack stands will be used of course.
Safety first!

·
Registered
66,282 Posts
nice touch on the console jeff. :five: ..........looks great :party0031:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts