Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At the Colorado Nationals I came across this car

It was displayed in the "Homebuilt Heaven" area...this area for all the guys who did most if not all the work on their cars themselves. It was probably the nicest car there...as well it should be since it was built by a Rapid City custom car builder for the owner.
The photo above was taken in Deadwood at Kool Deadwood Nites at Tin Lizzies two years ago on Sat. On Thurs and Fri of the Kool show it was on display at the old train depot in the custom builders display. They had a '67 Mustang they were working on and two finished cars one of them being the '55 convert. Being a '55 I was talking to one of the builders about it. It was custom built for the CO owner and this was the first debut of the car. It won one of the top prizes in Deadwood that year for builder and owner.

So this weekend there it is in "Homebuilt Heaven". The owner had the audacity to fill in every box on the window display that he had done everything on the car from the mechanicals to upholstery...and that upholstery is truly custom.

Sort of really pissed me off when I knew the background of the car...homebuilt my butt!!! Just a freaking trophy hunter is all he is. The only thing he built was the funds to pay for someone else to do the work...just wrong in so many ways.

Someone said that on Fri he had his car displayed in the "Ya Gotta Drive 'Em" area ... the only driving that car has seen is on and off the trailer...there isn't a chip or ding anywhere on that car...and if you drive 'em you are going to get chips and dings.

Sorry for the rant but I loathe guys who go to a show and try to win a trophy by whatever means and its the only reason they are there. That '55 convert is absolutely gorgeous from top to bottom no denying that.
Thanks I feel better now:)

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
I agree 100 %....also hate to see them trailered to within a few blocks, then driven the rest of the way and entered in "driver" class....oh well....:bowtier:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Guess that's why I like Cruise-ins. But I agree. The guy must have never ever even gotten a participation ribbon in track like kids do now-a-days... :sign0020:

·
KINGS X 56 = R.I.P. August 31, 2014Senior Member 2
2,885 Posts
Those that cheat....cheat
Those that don't cheat.....don't cheat.
Me, I won't cheat. If I win, I win. If I lose, I lose.

Even if I lose I still go home with the best prize....I drive home, "The Black Rose my 56 Chevrolet."

Mine is no trailer queen, I drive mine to & from shows. I love to cruise.

KINGS X 56

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have been to a few car shows that let the drivers vote for the top 20 or 25 cars of the show. It's always a group of friends that votes for each others cars to take home the trophies. Trophies are nice, but I know my car is as nice if not nicer than some who win the trophies so I concentrate more on a cold beer, lawn chair, and talking cars to people who truly love them.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I agree 100 %....also hate to see them trailered to within a few blocks, then driven the rest of the way and entered in "driver" class....oh well....:bowtier:
bowtie-trifive
:ditto: I'm with you on that one Mickey... Just another reason I like the informal Cruise Ins... Later, Dave

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
In my opinion, I don't know how someone can be happy with a trophy that was swindled. The same goes for the person thats a buddy of the judge or a political maneuver.I don't have any buddies as judges and I'm NO politician. If my car doesn't measure up, it shouldn't win. Everyone on this site knows when I win a trophy because I crow like a hen that just laid an egg.That's because I'm proud of my car. I put a lot of time,money,thought,blood and sweat into it. BUT!!! If my car doesn't earn the trophy ---I DON'T WANT IT!!! In my book that is considered stealing and I can't stand a thief!!!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
When I was in high school I worked at a corner fruit stand selling fruits and vegetables. Women were always asking if the produce was homegrown, so I asked the owner how do I reply? He responded you always say "yes ma'am it's homegrown" then he added "at somebody's home"...:sign0020:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trophies are nice, but I know my car is as nice if not nicer than some who win the trophies so I concentrate more on a cold beer, lawn chair, and talking cars to people who truly love them.
Amen to that...my philosophy exactly...if I do win something it's just icing on the cake of a great day.:)

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Same thing happened to my wife and I. "Big" show called park in the park last month.
We entered the truck in the builder class. Got beat by three other cars that were, well, lets just say, about the only builder part of those cars was maybe there wasn't enough air in one tire. Kinda pissed off my wife. I figure oh well, it's a game and I don't play well with others anyway.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
bowtie-trifive
Another here who completely agrees with you :)

I don't do anything for trophy's. I do what I do just to please the family and then myself.

Truth is, I can't help but feel kinda sad for those who feel they need to lie to get a trophy...I mean how empty is their life that they feel the need to lie just so someone can say to them "Nice Job" ...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I saw that car pull in on Friday morning and he parked in the upper concourse where all the Builders Choice cars would be. I'm thinking when he seen the competition he realized he was in tough, so he packed up and moved out to the other area you spoke of. Obviously he was hunting for a trophy because he moved midway through the day and then jumped across to another area on Saturday as they were still judging there.

I was also parked on the upper concourse area on Friday,and was invited to compete in the builders choice area for Saturday as well. Didn't end up with a Pinkee's pick, but had fun up there and spent the day talking with people who really knew what the car was all about. That's better than a trophy any day!

This week I have two local show and shines to partake in and truth be known, I enjoy them more than the big shows. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
All we can do is smile for those of us who did build the car with no help from the pro's. Just posted an interview at the Hot Rod Supernationals . I told the TV person we did it all and it was the truth! may not be the best at the show but it was truly a father and son project from start to finish. No BS here.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I had a car judge that had some nerve to say this to me in a car show. "Did mommy and daddy buy everything for you to build that?" I just about tore him a new *******.

I could care less about a trophy, I drive one home.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Poor ol Christine is a driver. Drove her home from the Tri Five show in Pigeon Forge in a monsoon the entire way. A couple of days later she got treated to bath at the local touchless car wash. Then last Saturday she took another trip to Cherokee North Carolina and then back to Chattanooga in a single day/night. About a 300+ mile day on mountain roads. She gets to have alot of fun seeing the sights and occasionally still gets surprized by winning a trophy. I don't think she'd change a thing.:flag6: Blake

Just happened to think, she got to take me to Cracker Barrel last night too. Being the only old car there she received alot of attention. Of course, I was keeping an eye on her from the window. LOL.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Some of these people make me laugh, others disgust me. Long distance awards is an example. Snowbirds who spend the winter in Phoenix with their hot rods register for long distance using their up north address. Then, they drive 10 miles to the show to collect their trophy.
I just park in the bowl down below, in the grass. I don't spend time by my car, I'm too busy looking at your car, strolling the swap meet and vendor areas, and genuinely having a good time. I can't be bothered waiting for a judge to come by. BTW, I've won an award doing it that way.....just frosting on the cake. Like said before I drive my trophy home.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I started showing cars when I was 18 years old in 1975. I used to fight with show organizers to create a street machine class. Then I would fight with the same people when the trophy hunters would show. After a couple years of making enemies and stressing myself out I learned to grow up a bit. I learned to laugh at the cheaters. I show a few times a year still. When I register I tell the officials that their car count will be off when they are judging. I put my window registration in the trunk. Don't want anymore trophies and it thrills me to see a noob win a trophy. I too have gravitated to the cruise ins. Lots of fun.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Whenever I enter a Car Show I never expect to win anything.
I register just to be parked with all the other "classics".I really
enjoy the socializing with some of the other "classic car" owner's
and spectators.
In 2001 we were at the PISRA show(pre-1960 to enter)in
Chilliwack with the '55 and I won the plaque for "best unfinished".
The body of the '55 was still in the rough,but I did all the modifying
such as 427BB,rack steering,brakes,etc.The last thing on my mind
was winning anything.There were 225 rods registered at this show.

I thought they were joking when then called my name because there
were other unfinished rods there that were in nicer condition than mine.

Maybe I won 'cause I really didn't care.:sign0020:

I think a trophy for "People's Choice" would be one of the
highest honors personally,simply because the majority of
a multitude of spectators liked your car the best overall.

:bowtieb::bowtier::bowtieb::bowtier::bowtieb:

Doug

·
Registered
126 Posts
Like Doc says, "It's just an empty cup."

For me it's about what I DO with the car. I've entered shows before but I like just cruising the thing around, occasionally drag racing it, or I'll pack it up and go camping with it.

I can appreciate a extremely well built car, but I'm happy with what I have because it's mine. :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts