Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
More accessories than it had in 56 and the V8 isn't original. Side trim is interesting too.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
1956 ???
So according to ad is it 56 or 89
Is it genuine RHD or as advertised LHD ??
Is it white or RED ?

For Sale by: Private Seller

Right, Left Hand Drive: Left-Hand Drive

Date of Manufacture: 01/1989
Colour: White

Painted Spray Chief pearl red and white over white base.
interesting to say the least

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
To me it looks like an Aussie 210 car that has been modified to make it appear to be a Bel Air.

It still has the 210 mouldings under the side glass. I think he has retained the 210 side mouldings (lower front fender moulding appears to be 210) and added the upper mouldings to make it look like a Bel Air. Maybe a shortened 210 fender moulding is used for the upper fender moulding?

To me the interior really points to it being a 210 car, and perhaps we can use those shots as a reference to what they were - leather interior and all.

Over the years I have brought in a few sets of BA side glass mouldings, and have also brought in some BA side body moulding for '55 and '56 sedans. A common trend in the years before LHD was avaialble, and our $ was alot lower than in recent years, was to convert your 4 door 210 to a BA. Some went the full distance, some just used the side window trim. Probably a bit like the US guys adding some BA trim to their 210's over the years.

The reality is that not many of the "real" Aussie 210 sedans left down here that have not been altered in some way.

Cheers, Des

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Side trim reminds me of an EK - FB style.

It even has LP gas ( lebonese petrol) for the guys that cant afford the real thing :)
Are you for real, I`m a fourth generation Aussie and I have two cars on LPG and have had many more over the years. Cant afford the real thing Pfffft.

I also have two cars with big block chev`s in them.
I also pour $500.00 of diesel into my truck every week as well.
I have also had AT least one car with a big block chev in it for the last thirty years probably before you even knew what a Chev was.
Also drove a car to work everyday for 5 years with a 496 that ran on Avgas at 1.40 litre over 10 years ago.

Why dont you make your posts worthwhile instead of just trying to get your post number up. Like really you dont need to post on every thread especially the worthless comments you make on 95% of them.

I find your comment offensive and verging on racist.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
To me it looks like an Aussie 210 car that has been modified to make it appear to be a Bel Air.

It still has the 210 mouldings under the side glass. I think he has retained the 210 side mouldings (lower front fender moulding appears to be 210) and added the upper mouldings to make it look like a Bel Air. Maybe a shortened 210 fender moulding is used for the upper fender moulding?

To me the interior really points to it being a 210 car, and perhaps we can use those shots as a reference to what they were - leather interior and all.

Over the years I have brought in a few sets of BA side glass mouldings, and have also brought in some BA side body moulding for '55 and '56 sedans. A common trend in the years before LHD was avaialble, and our $ was alot lower than in recent years, was to convert your 4 door 210 to a BA. Some went the full distance, some just used the side window trim. Probably a bit like the US guys adding some BA trim to their 210's over the years.

The reality is that not many of the "real" Aussie 210 sedans left down here that have not been altered in some way.

Cheers, Des
I`m with you Des. 210 that has had a few extra strips added.

My Factory RHD was a bit weird it had a 210 strips up the side but it also had belair trim around the windows.
The holes for the Belair trim where the factory stamped oblong shape but it has never had belair trim on the doors because the holes would be visible on the inside of the door. It now has 210 trim instead of the Bel air trim around the window.

It could also be a special order like this beauty that I have posted before. Which is a Factory RHD 150 with Belair trim around the windows and also a few extra pieces of chrome just for good measure.

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
Yes, I definitely like all of those add-ons from back in the day.

Remember seeing your posts on that black RHD 56 - was it from Canberra? - a year or so back. Another ripper!

When would people reckon that discs were put on the car currently for sale?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hi John this car is now located on the NSW Central Coast but was originally from the ACT.
I did get a shot of the firewall tag which says acc RHD. I have the trim numbers and I will decode them when I get a chance to see what it comes up with.

Chris

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

My Factory RHD was a bit weird it had a 210 strips up the side but it also had belair trim around the windows.
The holes for the Belair trim where the factory stamped oblong shape but it has never had belair trim on the doors because the holes would be visible on the inside of the door. It now has 210 trim instead of the Bel air trim around the window.

It could also be a special order like this beauty that I have posted before. Which is a Factory RHD 150 with Belair trim around the windows and also a few extra pieces of chrome just for good measure.
Im really diggin this idea for my 150, they are a bit naked at the back....:tu

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I've always thought it would be cool to own a RHD car....:tu
:gba:
bowtie-trifive
You drive on the wrong side Mickey :)
But, that's precisely the point.

I'm sure you guys get some strange looks when you're cruising around in your LHD tri-fives. But, here in the US, it's very rare to see a RHD car unless it's an early British sports car or something like that.

So, to have a RHD tri-five would REALLY make people do a double-take. First thing they'd ask you is how - and why - you did the conversion. Having an original RHD, well, they wouldn't know what to think.

Ignoring the practicalities (and $$$) of finding an Aussie RHD that met my criteria and then getting it here, I think it would be kind of fun. Then again, I like messing with people's heads. :)

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin Trifive Leaders Club
6,152 Posts

Wow , i missed that post, I like it :)
Original RHD cars are extremely rare in NZ now too
I am pretty sure nearly all the original cars delivered to NZ were Bel Airs
you guys in Oz got a bigger variety I guess
However the trim made it onto them, dont really matter they look good !

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
I am pretty sure nearly all the original cars delivered to NZ were Bel Airs
you guys in Oz got a bigger variety I guess
However the trim made it onto them, dont really matter they look good !
Most of ours were the 210s described earlier in the thread - all the same spec. But there were just a few Bel Airs in the form of CKD V8 4-door hardtops.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
But, that's precisely the point.

I'm sure you guys get some strange looks when you're cruising around in your LHD tri-fives. But, here in the US, it's very rare to see a RHD car unless it's an early British sports car or something like that.

So, to have a RHD tri-five would REALLY make people do a double-take. First thing they'd ask you is how - and why - you did the conversion. Having an original RHD, well, they wouldn't know what to think.

Ignoring the practicalities (and $$$) of finding an Aussie RHD that met my criteria and then getting it here, I think it would be kind of fun. Then again, I like messing with people's heads. :)

Instead of importing a RHD, you could always do a conversion on your own car ?
Quite a few Lefties have been switched over down here with good results. It's easier if you have a 55/56 as the dash board is symmetricle.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Instead of importing a RHD, you could always do a conversion on your own car ?
Quite a few Lefties have been switched over down here with good results. It's easier if you have a 55/56 as the dash board is symmetricle.
True, but I'm an "original" guy. If I were to have a RHD tri-five, I'd want one that was built as such. (Not that it matters - I really don't think a factory RHD tri-five is in my future anyway...)

The fun of owning an original RHD tri-five here in the US is simply to be different. If I had one, I think I'd let people look at it and scratch their heads for a minute. Then, I'd tell them I researched the car, and it turns out it was built on a Monday morning, and no one caught the mistake before it left the factory. :)

I saw an unrestored Aussie '56 210 some years ago at a Classic Chevy show here in the US. Now, most people here would yawn at a green 4 door, and wander immediately over to look at the red convertibles. But, having read about the car beforehand, I took a few minutes to linger and have a close look. I'm glad I took the opportunity to do so.

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
True, but I'm an "original" guy. If I were to have a RHD tri-five, I'd want one that was built as such. (Not that it matters - I really don't think a factory RHD tri-five is in my future anyway...)

The fun of owning an original RHD tri-five here in the US is simply to be different. If I had one, I think I'd let people look at it and scratch their heads for a minute. Then, I'd tell them I researched the car, and it turns out it was built on a Monday morning, and no one caught the mistake before it left the factory. :)

I saw an unrestored Aussie '56 210 some years ago at a Classic Chevy show here in the US. Now, most people here would yawn at a green 4 door, and wander immediately over to look at the red convertibles. But, having read about the car beforehand, I took a few minutes to linger and have a close look. I'm glad I took the opportunity to do so.
:sign0020:

Sure is believable, dont buy a producation car assembled on Monday :)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
That would be Norm's car. Met him here some years back and he was looking for a RHD '57 to take home. Can't remember his surname, but think he came from Colorado. Leigh Grigg helped him in his search. Could not find a suitable '57, so bought the '56. I have seen a few photos of it over the years.

Cheers, Des

P.S. Can this thread be moved to the RHD section - will probably get lost if left in the ebay area.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts