Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1955 Bel Air 2drht
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been interested in the stock factory colors on our beautiful cars. While I don't know if there might be regional aspects to the number of orders they took on these per color, I thought it might be fun to quiz you originality experts. I'll nominate two or three colors per year as rarest and most common, I am interested in your thoughts. We know Chevy didn't keep track of number of cars produced in each color, but our anecdotal observations must be worth something!

Rare:
Autumn Bronze, solid or in a two-tone
Onyx Black solid or with India Ivory (not super rare but not common)
Shoreline Beige or India Ivory as a solid color
Copper Maroon
Navajo Tan seems fairly rare

Common:
Regal Turquoise/India Ivory
Glacier Blue
Neptune Green
Shadow Gray/Coral (I hesitate to say this great combo was exactly common, but I have seen a fair number of them over the years)

Rare:
Dusk Plum/India Ivory
Inca Silver/Imperial Ivory
Dawn Gray (I'm vague on what this looked like; maybe I've mistaken it for Inca Silver).
India Ivory as a solid color
Onyx Black as a solid color on Bel Airs.

Common:
Matador Red/Ivory or Beige
Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige
Crocus Yellow/Onyx Black- my favorite '56 combo. Not super common, but I've seen a fair number over the years.
Tropical Turquoise/India Ivory

Rare:
Laurel Green with or without Colonial Cream
Coronado Yellow solid or w/India Ivory
Harbor Blue (not super rare but kinda uncommon)
Larkspur Blue (ditto)
Highland Green (ditto)
Surf Green
Adobe Beige as a solid color

Common:
Matador Red/India Ivory (on BelAirs, anyway)
Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige
Onyx Black (much more common on '57s than 55 or 56 I think)
Canyon Coral/India Ivory
Colonial Cream/India Ivory
Dusk Pearl/Imperial Ivory

Note that color I listed first above is main body color, second is top or contrast color. And in this era a solid color of any kind is rarer than a two-tone, except for the 150s.

Of interest to me also are possibility that certain colors are more common on certain models or bodies. For example, for awhile it seemed to me that every 1957 210 four-door sedan was Canyon Coral, whereas you would rarely see a Bel-Air Sport Coupe in that color. Also, Matador Red was often found on Sport Coupes but seemed rare on 150s.

Onyx Black seemed much more popular in 1957 than '55 or '56. Of course the speed streak on '57 BelAirs looks great on Black cars.

What do you guys think? Give me your rarest/commonest colors by year!

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,880 Posts
Some of the colors you list as 'common' or popular I think you are overestimating...

Almost perennially, RED, BLACK, and WHITE(Ivory) are the more popular colors...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
My 55 cowl tag says dusk rose/india ivory. My understanding was all those with dusk rose were late year paints that carried over to 56. I'm not nuts about the color so changing to a different red and white.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I love Dusk Rose/ivory on a Nomad, and it came with the gray waffle and ivory leatherette interior... which is timeless!
Mine had been at sometime painted over (very badly) with some kind of red but left the interior dusk rose. A little too plum looking for me so since doing a restomod I chose a new red and white. (don't shoot me) LOL, I chose 2 Ford colors, Rangoon Red and Wimbledon white.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Some of the colors you list as 'common' or popular I think you are overestimating...

Almost perennially, RED, BLACK, and WHITE(Ivory) are the more popular colors...
What is popular today does not necessarily represent what actually sold when new. If you go to most car shows, you'd think half the tri-fives sold were red convertibles. (I'm exaggerating, of course, but only slightly.)

To my knowledge, if GM actually kept records of how many cars in each color were produced, no one has been able to provide said numbers from a reliable source. So, we're simply speculating on what the buying public actually bought.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've always been interested in the stock factory colors on our beautiful cars. While I don't know if there might be regional aspects to the number of orders they took on these per color, I thought it might be fun to quiz you originality experts. I'll nominate two or three colors per year as rarest and most common, I am interested in your thoughts. We know Chevy didn't keep track of number of cars produced in each color, but our anecdotal observations must be worth something!

Rare:
Autumn Bronze, solid or in a two-tone
Onyx Black solid or with India Ivory (not super rare but not common)
Shoreline Beige or India Ivory as a solid color
Copper Maroon
Navajo Tan seems fairly rare

Common:
Regal Turquoise/India Ivory
Glacier Blue
Neptune Green
Shadow Gray/Coral (I hesitate to say this great combo was exactly common, but I have seen a fair number of them over the years)

Rare:
Dusk Plum/India Ivory
Inca Silver/Imperial Ivory
Dawn Gray (I'm vague on what this looked like; maybe I've mistaken it for Inca Silver).
Onyx Black as a solid color on Bel Airs.

Common:
Matador Red/Ivory or Beige
Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige
Crocus Yellow/Onyx Black- my favorite '56 combo. Not super common, but I've seen a fair number over the years.

Rare:
Laurel Green with or without Colonial Cream
Coronado Yellow solid or w/India Ivory
Harbor Blue (not super rare but kinda uncommon)
Larkspur Blue (ditto)
Highland Green (ditto)
Surf Green
Adobe Beige as a solid color

Common:
Matador Red/India Ivory (on BelAirs, anyway)
Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige
Onyx Black (much more common on '57s than 55 or 56 I think)
Canyon Coral/India Ivory
Colonial Cream/India Ivory
Dusk Pearl/Imperial Ivory

Note that color I listed first above is main body color, second is top or contrast color. And in this era a solid color of any kind is rarer than a two-tone, except for the 150s.

Of interest to me also are possibility that certain colors are more common on certain models or bodies. For example, for awhile it seemed to me that every 1957 210 four-door sedan was Canyon Coral, whereas you would rarely see a Bel-Air Sport Coupe in that color. Also, Matador Red was often found on Sport Coupes but seemed rare on 150s.

Onyx Black seemed much more popular in 1957 than '55 or '56. Of course the speed streak on '57 BelAirs looks great on Black cars.

What do you guys think? Give me your rarest/commonest colors by year!
For a fact the absolute rarest color on a 55 belair are gray over coral. My book from chevy backs this claim.

·
Registered
1955 Bel Air 2drht
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is popular today does not necessarily represent what actually sold when new. If you go to most car shows, you'd think half the tri-fives sold were red convertibles. (I'm exaggerating, of course, but only slightly.)

To my knowledge, if GM actually kept records of how many cars in each color were produced, no one has been able to provide said numbers from a reliable source. So, we're simply speculating on what the buying public actually bought.
Very true. I'm sure there are now many Matador Red Chevies that came out in a diff. color.

·
Registered
1955 Bel Air 2drht
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My 57 was original a Colonial Creame and Laurel Green…somewhere in time it was painted black. I love my 57 and the color combo but there’s a part of me that loves that original color. I’ve only seen one 57 that original color combo.
My 57 was original a Colonial Creame and Laurel Green…somewhere in time it was painted black. I love my 57 and the color combo but there’s a part of me that loves that original color. I’ve only seen one 57 that original color combo. Below is my 57 and one that’s colonial creme and laurel green.
View attachment 365350 View attachment 365355
The Laurel Green seems to be one of rarest colors for a '57.

·
Registered
1955 Bel Air 2drht
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haven't seen a lot of Dusk Pearl 57 coupe`s around
I love Dusk Pearl, we used to have a dusk pearl Sport Coupe. One thing I noticed back in the days of these cars being just "used cars" was the Dusk Pearl tended to flake off more on the front fenders and hood than other colors. Or maybe it was just a coincidence I saw these particular cars. Silver-ish colors in general didn't hold up as well, paint-wise, as other colors back then.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
There are some colors made just for other markets as well, like my '55 is Lido Green, which is a Canada only color, and you can't even find pictures of one on Google image search.

Reactions: 58-GMC and JRM
1 - 20 of 128 Posts