Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I just read through the whole thread , wow! So keeping on topic I saw a 55 Nomad at the Nationals done in Navajo Tan with and Ivory roof , Navajo Tan and ivory waffle Nomad interior . A rare combo that was drop dead awesome being soo different . Not many done like that and I wonder how many were actually ordered that way . I had a 55 210 in that color combo . It is a color that has to grow on you before you realize its potential to wow ya. It is one of those colors that has to be done to perfection to appreciate its effect.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,880 Posts
Navajo tan and ivory '55 Nomad: Just like George's shown here... George is known as 'Crash' here on trifive.com. His navajo tan/ivory Nomad was restored back in the 80's by a NNC member and painted with lacquer (which still looks very good).. :)

Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
10,746 Posts
View attachment 366011

When I got my car it was a bronze color. The tag said it was onyx black top on colonial cream.
I had never seen the combo before and decided to go with the original paint scheme. Glad I did
Oooohh.... I like that!

Reactions: JRM

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've always been interested in the stock factory colors on our beautiful cars. While I don't know if there might be regional aspects to the number of orders they took on these per color, I thought it might be fun to quiz you originality experts. I'll nominate two or three colors per year as rarest and most common, I am interested in your thoughts. We know Chevy didn't keep track of number of cars produced in each color, but our anecdotal observations must be worth something!

Rare:
Autumn Bronze, solid or in a two-tone
Onyx Black solid or with India Ivory (not super rare but not common)
Shoreline Beige or India Ivory as a solid color
Copper Maroon
Navajo Tan seems fairly rare

Common:
Regal Turquoise/India Ivory
Glacier Blue
Neptune Green
Shadow Gray/Coral (I hesitate to say this great combo was exactly common, but I have seen a fair number of them over the years)

Rare:
Dusk Plum/India Ivory
Inca Silver/Imperial Ivory
Dawn Gray (I'm vague on what this looked like; maybe I've mistaken it for Inca Silver).
India Ivory as a solid color
Onyx Black as a solid color on Bel Airs.

Common:
Matador Red/Ivory or Beige
Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige
Crocus Yellow/Onyx Black- my favorite '56 combo. Not super common, but I've seen a fair number over the years.
Tropical Turquoise/India Ivory

Rare:
Laurel Green with or without Colonial Cream
Coronado Yellow solid or w/India Ivory
Harbor Blue (not super rare but kinda uncommon)
Larkspur Blue (ditto)
Highland Green (ditto)
Surf Green
Adobe Beige as a solid color

Common:
Matador Red/India Ivory (on BelAirs, anyway)
Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige
Onyx Black (much more common on '57s than 55 or 56 I think)
Canyon Coral/India Ivory
Colonial Cream/India Ivory
Dusk Pearl/Imperial Ivory

Note that color I listed first above is main body color, second is top or contrast color. And in this era a solid color of any kind is rarer than a two-tone, except for the 150s.

Of interest to me also are possibility that certain colors are more common on certain models or bodies. For example, for awhile it seemed to me that every 1957 210 four-door sedan was Canyon Coral, whereas you would rarely see a Bel-Air Sport Coupe in that color. Also, Matador Red was often found on Sport Coupes but seemed rare on 150s.

Onyx Black seemed much more popular in 1957 than '55 or '56. Of course the speed streak on '57 BelAirs looks great on Black cars.

What do you guys think? Give me your rarest/commonest colors by year!
Here's my Belair, original paint. My favorite color.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've always been interested in the stock factory colors on our beautiful cars. While I don't know if there might be regional aspects to the number of orders they took on these per color, I thought it might be fun to quiz you originality experts. I'll nominate two or three colors per year as rarest and most common, I am interested in your thoughts. We know Chevy didn't keep track of number of cars produced in each color, but our anecdotal observations must be worth something!

Rare:
Autumn Bronze, solid or in a two-tone
Onyx Black solid or with India Ivory (not super rare but not common)
Shoreline Beige or India Ivory as a solid color
Copper Maroon
Navajo Tan seems fairly rare

Common:
Regal Turquoise/India Ivory
Glacier Blue
Neptune Green
Shadow Gray/Coral (I hesitate to say this great combo was exactly common, but I have seen a fair number of them over the years)

Rare:
Dusk Plum/India Ivory
Inca Silver/Imperial Ivory
Dawn Gray (I'm vague on what this looked like; maybe I've mistaken it for Inca Silver).
Onyx Black as a solid color on Bel Airs.

Common:
Matador Red/Ivory or Beige
Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige
Crocus Yellow/Onyx Black- my favorite '56 combo. Not super common, but I've seen a fair number over the years.

Rare:
Laurel Green with or without Colonial Cream
Coronado Yellow solid or w/India Ivory
Harbor Blue (not super rare but kinda uncommon)
Larkspur Blue (ditto)
Highland Green (ditto)
Surf Green
Adobe Beige as a solid color

Common:
Matador Red/India Ivory (on BelAirs, anyway)
Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige
Onyx Black (much more common on '57s than 55 or 56 I think)
Canyon Coral/India Ivory
Colonial Cream/India Ivory
Dusk Pearl/Imperial Ivory

Note that color I listed first above is main body color, second is top or contrast color. And in this era a solid color of any kind is rarer than a two-tone, except for the 150s.

Of interest to me also are possibility that certain colors are more common on certain models or bodies. For example, for awhile it seemed to me that every 1957 210 four-door sedan was Canyon Coral, whereas you would rarely see a Bel-Air Sport Coupe in that color. Also, Matador Red was often found on Sport Coupes but seemed rare on 150s.

Onyx Black seemed much more popular in 1957 than '55 or '56. Of course the speed streak on '57 BelAirs looks great on Black cars.

What do you guys think? Give me your rarest/commonest colors by year!
As near as I can tell my 56 Sedan Delivery was solid India Ivory from the factory. It had a couple of other colors layered on top by the time I got it.

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
India ivory was the 'closest' color to white available during the trifive Chevy years, and it was popular for utility vehicles (trucks and sedan deliverys, utility sedans, etc)..
Dwren: Doesn't your car have it's cowl plate attached? If so, the plate should have the original color and interior encoded...

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
My first in 1959.
Gittin'r done at the local 1/8th mi strip.
Is original paint, as I knew the car when I was working at the dealership.
Colors are?

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

Reactions: johnonetrillion

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
54,219 Posts
My first in 1959. Gittin'r done at the local 1/8th mi strip. Is original paint, as I knew the car when I was working at the dealership. Colors are?
Navaho tan and white maybe?

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle

·
54,219 Posts
Don't want to start another peeing contest...However, I just came across this tech article in my library.

I will say that I don't know how this information was derived and or if it can be proved through any other official source.

Slope Triangle Font Parallel Circle

Organism Font Slope Triangle Parallel

Font Triangle Slope Parallel Circle

Attachments

·
54,219 Posts

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
Pops... too bad we didn't have that data last week.. :)

That data almost looks like GM derived data, and there's mention of the 'Finger Tip Facts' document. I have that book but haven't looked at it in a long long while and don't recall seeing those charts in it...???

In fact: There might be a digitized copy of the finger tip facts book(s) buried in the GM archive section here at this site...?

·
54,219 Posts
That data almost looks like GM derived data, and there's mention of the 'Finger Tip Facts' document. I have that book but haven't looked at it in a long long while and don't recall seeing those charts in it...???
In fact: There might be a digitized copy of the finger tip facts book(s) buried in the GM archive section here at this site...?
I believe that I have those books as well...They are not on our site here

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
Can someone with 'ready access' to a Finger tip Facts document check and see if those color percentages are contained in it??

81 - 100 of 128 Posts