Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one tired with this term? Since I am currently on the hunt for a car, or truck, almost every ad I see for an older vehicle for sale, the seller states Rat Rod??? So everyone has learned a new term, and every old vehicle just magically increased in value, and is now, or can one day be, a rat rod...really?!?

It bugs me to see some pretty cool cars being offered up to the new generation of buyer's as rat rods or rat rod candidates, ..."Hey, here's this great 1949 Chevy short bed pickup. One owner, all original, starts and runs smoothly...perfect to cut up, chop, lower, drop in a 350, and make into a rat rod" ...really?!?!?...what a shame to see old classics fall prey to the flavor of the day.

Now, don't get me wrong...if you found just a shell of a car, or a car parted out too far, then why not slap together what you can to get it back on the road, safely, but some of these so called rat rods have just as much work done to them, as many hot rods, so a contradiction if you ask me...

I'm just tired of hearing the term is all. Maybe I'm just grumpy and need a cup of coffee....

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't like it either

Makes me think of a wrecked hotrod full of rats sitting in a junk yard. Then again I'm a gumpy old fart that doesn't like many of the new expressions.

John

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have to agree, it is over used. A rat is something that most left for dead and falls under the one mans trash is another mans treasure. It's a compilation of used parts that you scraped together because you can't afford the best of the best. I don't have an issue with someone selling a field abandon car stating it could be a rat rod.... Cause it would be. I have an issue with someone spending $30k to have a shop build a "rat rod" and then snubbing their noses at real rats they see at shows. Piecing together a cool car on a dime is how hot rodding started! I respect a rat that the owner did all of his own work more than some $100k trailer queen owned by guys who hired it all out.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I think that like all things the rat rod deal has gotten out of hand. It started as a way to use what you had laying around and make it into a running driving car. I have one, a 1966 buick sport wagon that was used in a bank robbery, bullet holes and all and I put graphix and good seats. It is in my albums on the site, tilted the hood to open to the front and it is still a restorable car. I hate it when people take a complete car and destroy all the good sheet metal to make it into a "rat rod". Rat rods have filled a niche, but taking a good, restorable car and making into a POS is just wrong.

Joebowtie-trifive

·
Registered
270 Posts
I understand what you are saying. It's a craze that can definitely put some nice original condition cars in dire jeapardy.

On the other hand, the real rat rods are so cool!

This is a local one that I see at most of the shows. No roof no floorboards but so much attitude!

Dad gum whippersnappers! :)

Attachments

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Yep have a cupa coffee. So what? No different than "the bottom line" , "the end of the day" and a ton of other catch phrases. Over used by the weak minded.

To me a rat rod is someghing put together from left over parts. There is a guy around here that has a rat rod put together with an imperial body sectioned lenthwise and widthwise on some kind of Model A frame with a Caddy engine, Lasalle radiator & gril and Oddball wheels. Its quite a sight. Looks like parts flying in loose formation. LOL That shows some ingeneuity.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,733 Posts
Seems like I first heard the term rat rod back in the 70's and still hear it about as often today, no more no less. I refer to my bel air 2dr hard top as a rat rod, cause that's what it looks like and I really don't know if I'll ever get around to an actual paint job. Truth be told, I'd rather have my rat rod than a trailer queen. I don't want a car I'm afraid to drive! May as well take up collecting fine art and hang it in my climate controlled room.

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
The rat rods here are really cars that couldnt be saved, restored or wrecked so they`re put together the cheapest way you can think of with any part you can find.

I think I`ll stick to what I know :)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I salvaged an old truck cab that was returning to dust.

I think the "Hot Rod" term is also overused. People seem to apply it to anything that is not pure stock. It doesn't seem to matter what year sometimes.

And here's another one. "Pro Street". Put bigger tires on the rear, and you got one.

What's a "Tuner"? Can you describe one?

They are all subjective terms. The purist may have to use restraint when the terms are overused and abused.

There are "Gassers" on here without moon tanks and straight axels.:)

I'm going for a coffee.......

Rat Rod
Don

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Not sure the term is being over used. I don't mean to offend anyone so I apologize in advance, but I really don't like them. I see nothing cool about them and they look like fugitives from the junkyard. Sorry.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Carmine, I don't think anyone is going to be offended, we are all permitted to have our own views :)

I don't mind those cars and trucks that are actually saved from the crushers. I would rather see someone who loves cars that much, save one of these sad cars, and get to actually drive what he can, vs just sitting on the side lines and watching others. What really bugs me is seeing decent cars being destroyed to have that rat rod "look".

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
I agree with Dean. Are you still looking for a '56? Probably by now, you would entertain the thought of driving anything. I know I looked for years, probably wouldn't go the rat rod car, but I really wanted a trifive, just glad I was able to find something to drive and tinker with. The "look" will come with age, trust me, if you drive it and leave it outside (kinda like some people).
Hey, and I've only had one cup of coffee!
Hey Carmine, I don't think anyone is going to be offended, we are all permitted to have our own views :)

I don't mind those cars and trucks that are actually saved from the crushers. I would rather see someone who loves cars that much, save one of these sad cars, and get to actually drive what he can, vs just sitting on the side lines and watching others. What really bugs me is seeing decent cars being destroyed to have that rat rod "look".

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
This one of our car club members self proclaimed "rat truck". It's a '54 GMC, has an early Z01 engine, 4L60 trans and 12 bolt sits on a custom frame Brian built. The truck he inherited from his granddad when the farm sold. Brian is 30 and quite the shade tree builder/mechanic.
Brian may call it a 'rat truck' but we call it a sleeper...it's quite fast!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Cool truck. Nice Traditional Rod

No "Rattiness" at all about that. My good cruiser buddie has one very similar, old red paint and everything. Runs like top and we cruise all over.

I think many don't care or know to use the term "Traditional Hot Rod".

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
(Quote); What really bugs me is seeing decent cars being destroyed to have that rat rod "look".

Can you show us an example of decent cars being destroyed to have the rat rod look?

I personally have never seen that.

Don

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
This is how it was defined to me.

Rat Rod, a car that is unfinished on purpose. Rust, patina, paint chipping...

Hot Rod, a car that is finished.

Heres one that always gets me at times.....When somebody says a car has "patina" to me you are stating the cars is rusty, and in need of restoration. I think that term is being used way too often in the world of hot rodding.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don, sorry if I don't have a camera on me all the time, but yes, even on line, I've seen nice complete original cars/trucks get taken apart...and not only Chevys. Rat Rod, Hot Rod, Street Rod, ...etc., with inline 6s being removed and replaced with SBCs, clones, and what have you. More than once I asked why use such a clean car/truck to do this to, and why not find a car that can use a "frame off" to begin with, and the answer most told me...to start with a clean car with as little rust as possible, but they still did a frame off. I'm pretty sure others have seen it done as well...I can't be the only one. On the same topic, sort of, I know of a couple mostly complete frames sitting, some with complete drive train, as these once complete cars/trucks were taken apart, and had new frames, engines...etc to drop the old body's on...surely you've seen some of these as well.

I know, the buyer can do what ever he wants, but the questions still remains...if you are going to change everything anyways, why start with complete cars? Why not start with so many of the basket cases we see around? Either way, I'm more annoyed with seeing every other ad for an old car use the rat rod term in it.

As far as "patina" ...if I could find an original paint truck, that I could just wash and drive it, I would :) I don't know if I would call it patina, as I consider them survivors more than anything else. I've seen some nice clean survivors get taken in for a frame off...which is too bad, as they are only original once. I am sure I am not the only one who's seen this happen. As far as survivors, I believe that this might be an up and coming category at shows...there was even a video with Mr. Leno talking about it...original, non altered cars that have only been maintained over time, and are still running :)

Heck, I've seen pics of some cars and trucks get painted to look like there were rusted with patina!! I can't be the only one who has seen such pics. One that pops to mind was a VW bug I seen online, but I have also seen some pickups painted to look like they have rust...I'm sure others here have seen some of the same...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts