Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
As a general statement, an 8" booster mounted flat won't clear most valve covers, certainly not LS with coils on the covers. Some kind of offset is required.

Also, the offset mount and angle allows a direct, no binding, connection for the booster pushrod to the brake pedal, 1" up from stock location, changing the pedal ratio from 6:1 to 4:1. This reduces the pedal stroke and the overall result is a brake system that feels similar to what is on a modern car.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just got the CPP Midnight series 8" Power booster / Master combo part number MNS5557BB2-8D.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-57-CHEVY-BELAIR-150-210-8-POWER-BRAKE-BOOSTER-CONVERSION-KIT-DISC-DRUM-/263396188065

Looks very nice .. and fits with my LS2.
However ... Why do they make the bracket space it off the firewall so far??
Also aims up ? Looks silly...
I think I will drop $150 to get the offset bracket to get a bit more clearance for my corvette engine cover, especially if it is less of an angle.
Why cant these flush mount to firewall?
I mean I know the bolts but I mean is there a way?

Any body got any picks or recommendations?

I cant be the first guy to think this?
If you do now buy the offset mount to use with the cpp unit you just bought be aware you will have to modify the booster which includes shorting the rod coming out of the booster to the brake pedal(now the pivot) & also shorten the black phenolic portion that the boot is on & there is no instructions included with the offset bracket kit if you buy the complete offset bracket booster master kit those modifications are already done I've now done this on two different veh one already had a booster i reused the one ive just done I thought i might get by without the offset bracket but no way with factory generator mounted power steering not hard to do & works well when done if you could exchange the setup for the offset setup might be worth a call to cpp good luck Looking at your photo appears you have clearance to the coils with what is on it now if the rear coil is close i've seen coil brackets that move the rear coil up toward the intake for added clearance but probably wouldn't work with corvette cover

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
If you are going to stay with a flat mount, there are also brackets available that will pull your booster closer to the firewall than those in your picture. (approx 1.5" deep) Will require shortening the mounting bolts on booster or they will hit the firewall bolts. Not sure how long your threaded booster rod is...might need to be shortened as well, but I doubt it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-57-Chevrolet-Full-size-Power-Brake-Booster-Firewall-Black-Mounting-Brackets/113715929336?_trkparms=aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20200520130048&meid=ea4b3f6e4039416e9aabb978cc0ffca5&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&mehot=co&sd=113715929351&itm=113715929336&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bDemotion&brand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Ace

21 - 24 of 24 Posts