Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some original turn signal housings and a bumper I want straighted as well as bumper accessories I need re chromed. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
I have some original turn signal housings and a bumper I want straighted as well as bumper accessories I need re chromed. Any recommendations?
I hope you guys have better luck with rechroming items than we do here in Australia. It can be pretty hit and miss with the jobs they turn out. Frustrating to say the least. :anim_25:

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I only rechrome when a reproduction is not available. I have some parts in for chrome plating now and it is very expensive and turn around time is slow. Die cast parts like the turn signal housings are very tricky to re-plate.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The pot metal pieces are difficult and expensive to re-plate, and the results can be disappointing. The die cast reproduction parts from Danchuk are very good quality and generally cost less than if you re-plated your originals. As for the bumpers (and other steel parts) I believe you're better off to have the OEM parts re-plated.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Make sure you check recent references. Seems lately that quality has dropped off. Someone said it has to do with changing out certain chemicals banned by EPA. I have no idea if that is true or not. But you do seem to hear a lot more complaints. Even some of these high end builders on the car shows have quality issues from time to time.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Had some plating done by Ogden Chrome in Utah. Bumpers and misc. parts for my 56 Nomad. They did an amazing job on all the parts. Particularly the bumpers which I had modified. Perfectly smooth with no ripples or sand marks. Not cheap and not overnight. Try them they are good folks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts