Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP--- took a manual thermo. and taped it to top water hose and let idle. Got up to 160D and gauge was at about half scale.At 170D it was all the way hot.Unhooked sender and gauge went to C. Grounded gauge and it wenf to H. Ineed some advice. Think it could be sender, but I can't find any inf. on correct sender, such as ohm value. I thimk it is a thermocouple but can't find any inf.
Hvae a blessed day
bama gene

·
12,256 Posts
YOur engine is probably a bit hotter than what the thermometer on the hose is reading. Are you using the stock gauge? If so, you should be able to find the correct sender.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re high temp

I agree Am sure engine is hotter than the outside of the hose. Just trying to get something to go by. Where can i get some inf. on correct sender.Bought one from eckersly thatSUPPOSED to be for stock 57 gauge. Same as one I bought from parts store only 4 times as expensive.
have a blessed day
bamagene

·
Premium Member
16,157 Posts
The aftermarket sending units just don't work correctly. They do exactly what you are describing from my experience with them. You need to find an original DELCO sender for your car. :anim_25:

-Bruce

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
re high temp

chevynut, thanks for the info. bro, but these look just like the 2 I already
have. In fact one says for 53-57 and my inf. tells me the 56 is different. Reckon I just keep looking. Only thing at160 half scale you wouldn't think 170 would be all the way on H.Still makes you want to think it is the sender
Have a blessed day
bamagene

·
Premium Member
16,157 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re high temp

Bruce, You have any idea where I can find an original delco sender?
have a blessed day
bamagene

·
Premium Member
16,157 Posts
Bruce, You have any idea where I can find an original delco sender?
have a blessed day
bamagene

I would check Ebay for a NOS one or check with some of the members here that have a bunch of trifive cars and parts. Hafrod and Qwerty57 come to mind. I usually have a few around but just went through this myself and found one in a local junk yard. Don't waste you time with repro or parts store senders, They are not worth the price of the box they come in.

-Bruce

·
Registered
37,967 Posts
"In fact one says for 53-57 and my inf. tells me the 56 is different."

Your info should also tell you that 53-55 don't have a sender at all, or for that matter an electrical gauge, they have a mechanical gauge with a capillary tube.

56 and 57 senders are indeed different.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Bama, At most part stores you can buy a radiator cap that displays the temp at the radiator. It will give you a good idea of what temp your motor is producing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts