Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Hydraullic Clutch Pedal Problem

NEED HELP!!!

I Installed a wilwood clutch pedal and 3/4 inch bore wilwood master cylinder. I have the hydraullic throwout bearing already installed...4an braided line... Got a Ram street/strip clutch set up and a t-10 4 speed. Hurst competition bench shifter.

Ive bleed the clutch pedal several times...and I think Ive gotten all the clutch I can get out of the pedal...first 1/2 to an inch or so is a little airy..but then is very firm for the rest of the way down (for the majority of the pedal movement). Looking through the hole of the bellhousing...I can see considerable movement of the throw-out bearing and pressure plate as the clutch is pressed...and it seems like more than enough movement to get the disc off the flywheel.

Situation:

I can drive the vehicle around...once the vehicle is in motion...I can shift and movement in shifter and clutch engagement feels smooth with no grinding (1-2,2-3, and 3-4). When I am at a stand still...however...any attempt to go into any gear I can feel the gears grind slightly in the transmission...I have to kind of "pop it in" to get it in gear.

Also...coming to a stop....I have to fight with the shifter because it doesnt want to come out of gear....and usually...the shifter wins...I have to shut off the vehicle...put my foot on the ground...and rock the vehicle back and forth slightly while shifting out of gear and then it will let loose.

Also...when it is in say ...first or reverse....at a standstill with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor...the vehicle is already starting to move...to the point that I do have to apply the brake slightly so I dont move.

Does this sound like my master cylinder needs to be bled more...or does my shifter need to be adjusted or could it be a combination of the two?...or is there something else it could be that Im not even considering???? Do I need a bigger master cylinder bore?

Thanks...any suggestions or responses are appreciated.
Kenneth

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Your set up is similar to mine. It was a real bear to bleed, in fact I bought a pressure bleeder to do it. Now it works great. If yours is mushy at all it may need to better bleeding :tu

·
Premium Member
13,462 Posts
some of the hydraulic throw out bearings need to be shimmed away from the trans to have enough throw .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bleeder

What bleeder did you get...and from where...so youre saying you had a hard time bleeding it and then problem was solved with the pressure bleeder? How much do they run and where can I find one....do I bleed it from the bleeder nipple at the throwout bearing?.....

and yes...my hydraullic throwout bearing is from speedway...it had to be shimmed...it was supposed to have zero clearance between pressure plate diaphram and bearing or a slight preload...I remember I had a slight preload....are you saying I should have shimmed it with even more preload? That would stink...I would have to pull the engine and tranny back out.
Thanks for your suggestions,
Kenneth

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Mushy at the start of the throw?? How far does the firewall deflect, before it becomes stiff enough to overcome the pedal pressure??

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
This is the one I bought

If I recall I bought it from Amazon. It screws right on the Wilwood. Pump up some presure then open the bleeder.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts