Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Being retired and widowed, looking at picture of my girl skateboarding in front of my wagon in 1974. decided to get the 1956 wagon shown in my profile.
Having some rust the previous owner (middle man) decided to cut holes in the floor boards clearly with no plan.
Decided to rebuild the passenger rocker and A pillar, before replacing the floor panels (already have new panel in tow halves front to rear of rear seat).
Kind of chuckled as I removed the mew wires from the headlight in the fender (middle man installed new harness) finding the park light wire connected to the headlight low beam :rolleyes:

Thought of installing a four speed (replacing the Turbo 350) , as I was removing the burned out glass packs , I noticed the arms from the frame rails for the bell housing mounts had been cut off.
I prefer the old bell housing with the open bottom.
Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Being retired and widowed, looking at picture of my girl skateboarding in front of my wagon in 1974. decided to get the 1956 wagon shown in my profile.
Having some rust the previous owner (middle man) decided to cut holes in the floor boards clearly with no plan.
Decided to rebuild the passenger rocker and A pillar, before replacing the floor panels (already have new panel in tow halves front to rear of rear seat).
Kind of chuckled as I removed the mew wires from the headlight in the fender (middle man installed new harness) finding the park light wire connected to the headlight low beam :rolleyes:

Thought of installing a four speed (replacing the Turbo 350) , as I was removing the burned out glass packs , I noticed the arms from the frame rails for the bell housing mounts had been cut off.
I prefer the old bell housing with the open bottom. View attachment 364113
Wow, clearly a need for me to proof read .
A bit more information:
Have replacement toe boards, body mount pads, and have ordered new front floor braces.
Figure once I get through the sheet metal repairs, can move forward with tracing and completing the install of the new
wire harness and fuse block.
Looking at the issue of new windows (preferably door windows with the braces already attached to the glass).

On my way hauling the wagon home from Nebraska, a youngin at a hamburger stand asked if I was going to finish it?
Am in no hurry with the simple goal to do it justice.

It has a 1975 ish 350 C.I., and the motor mounts have been moved to the sides of the engine.
The distributor is what I refer to as the second gen at 5" dia. (with coil in the cap) and there is little clearance to the firewall.
Looking at purchasing a new electronic ignition distributor at the 3.5" dia. (first gen configuration).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You`ve hit a great mile stone, with the floor down and firewall finished (y)
Maybe a bit obsessive, pulled the floors back out (they were not permanently attached), and cleaned the frame rails, etc. etc.. Figure now is the time to get the new body mount pads installed while I can reach them from above as well.
Putting the floor panels down today. Discovered two holes that had been drilled through the bell housing hump, and patched with rubberized tape (HMMM).Plane to install the new toe boards, then fabricate new hump from 18 gage hot roll.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks great in position, did you keep the same size transmission hump?
Bought stock floor pan (main panels split down the driveshaft hump) , and stock toe boards (from Classic Industries).
Have not altered the bell housing hump, although I did find a couple of holes drilled through it that had been taped over.
Going to make templates of the hump and see what I can do to fabricate a piece of 18 gauge .... and connect to the ends of the new toe boards .
Currently has a Turbo 350, leaning towards a four speed stick. Discovered the factory frame extensions used for bell housing mounts had been cut away (should grind the left over welds on the left from them being cut off), while a transmission cross member along with side engine mounts were installed. Likely use an aluminum bell housing, and a hydraulic clutch (since the Z shaft mounts for clutch linkage require old bell housing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Initial fit of drivers toe board coming along.
Need to pull toe board back out, secure the original bell housing hump to the new floor, then re install the toe board.
The new panels are remarkably close to original, none the less getting desired fit is a process. Pulled the emergency brake handle and cable out to allow new floor panel. Found the cable pulley had actually worn the V grooves in the shoulder bolt (after 65... years).
Wood Handwriting Office supplies Computer keyboard Font
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Audio equipment Electricity Cable
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
10,841 Posts
Keep up the good work!~ It'll keep you out of bars (and trouble).. :) although sure to cause some 'trifive frustration'.. :)

·
Registered
1955 210 two door post, six cylinder, three on a tree, Navajo Tan and India Ivory
1,929 Posts
You are getting on with it. You can buy those emerg brake pulleys and bolts. I had to. Mine weren't worn anywhere near like the ones in your photo and my car has 169,000 miles on it. Someone was sure using that parking brake a lot.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You are getting on with it. You can buy those emerg brake pulleys and bolts. I had to. Mine weren't worn anywhere near like the ones in your photo and my car has 169,000 miles on it. Someone was sure using that parking brake a lot.
The engine is a mid seventies 350 with the larger diameter distributor (5" vs 3 1/2") causing the wires to wear paint off of the firewall. Plan to get an electronic version of the old style distributor. A friend suggested I cut and fabbed a recess in the firewall :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
12,251 Posts
Someone must have used that parking brake more than the accelerator pedal. Mine had around 90k on it and there wasn’t a mark on the bolt. @Loyd , I would get a new bolt AND roller. That’s a bit baffling.

Floors are looking sharp! Isn’t it amazing how the car feels so much more “done” or “complete” after it gets all new floors?

1 - 20 of 136 Posts