Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to prime my 55, using SPI epoxy, before I do the final mudding. Can I seal it up then apply evercoat z grip, then put more primer on top of the mud? I want to get the metal sealed up soon, there are a few area that will need mud, a couple dings in the quarters, I bumped them out fairly good but not good enough. Two places on the tail piece where tail pan was replaced, etc. The doors, hood and fenders are all down to bare metal so it needs to be done soon.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
If you are down to bare metal, you can go ahead with the SPI epoxy...use a couple of wet coats...The epoxy primer will give you a 7 day window of opportunity to apply a high build primer over top without having to sand the epoxy primer.
You can wait for the other guys with much more experience to chime in, but I don't know if it's advisable to apply the epoxy primer on to media blasted metal....I was advised to make sure the metal had some 80 grit scratches on it for the epoxy to bite into to.
Also, I'm not sure if that 7 day window gets shortened with the extreme heat or dry weather. Both those products worked well on my car.
:anim_25:

Eugene

1 - 2 of 2 Posts