Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I installed a normal aftermarket HEI in my sbc powered '55 and it's hitting the firewall unless I jack up the trans a bit. This will work for the test fire, but I think I'll order a smaller ready to run style.

My budget build would prefer not to buy an MSD, and truthfully after the issues with the one on my Pontiac being improperly assembled I don't see them as being as high quality as I used to. So what has everyone else run and had success with?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,959 Posts
I've had good luck with Pertronix.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I use the Pertronix cast look distributor D104600. It is an all new clone of a 1957 distributor and uses Ignitor I technology. You can use either a stock points style coli, or a Pertronix Flamethrower I coil if this is a higher performance engine. They are reasonably priced, and work great. The photos are of the distributor in my Nomad's crate motor. Here is a link to the distributor: Pertronix D104600 Stock Look Distributor Chevy SBC BBC w/ Ignitor I Ignition | eBay

Attachments

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I recently went through this with my current build; my '39 Chev coupe. I planned to run a stock HEI, but not enough firewall clearance. So instead I went back to a points distributor, but bought an Accel electronic kit for it. The Accel uses the stock ceramic resistor, and coil, and simply replaces the points. It was very easy to install in about 15 minutes, and very inexpensive. It's working perfectly, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Under $75 for the kit. Accel #2010 ACC

·
Registered
56 150 two door w/210 trim, 350 CID, TH 350
565 Posts
Pertronix, a couple things, as I understand, their Flame-thrower I and maybe the Flame-thrower II distributors modules can fail if the ignition is left on while the engine is NOT running. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Now the good news, switched over to Pertronix Flame-thrower III dist. and so far I have had zero issues. I like the built-in rev. limiter and it is very easy to adjust. I also used the coil recommended by them because of the low primary resistance. They're available through just about parts seller, although I bought mine directly from Pertronix. As added insurance I bought a second module to carry around, "just in case," that way it will never fail. The distributor I have is the stock look cast version.

Flame-throwers III Distributor

Ignition Coil

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Pertronix, a couple things, as I understand, their Flame-thrower I and II distributors modules can fail if the ignition is left on while the engine is NOT running. If I'm wrong please correct me.
Now the good news, switched over to Pertronix Flame-thrower III dist. and so far I have had zero issues. I like the built-in rev. limiter and it is very easy to adjust. I also used the coil recommended by them because of the low primary resistance. They're available through just about parts seller, although I bought mine directly from Pertronix. As added insurance I bought a second module to carry around, "just in case," that way it will never fail. The distributor I have is the stock look cast version.

Flame-throwers III Distributor

Ignition Coil

Only the Pertronix Ignitor I modules and distributors are subject to damage from overheating, if the ignition switch is left in the "On" position without the engine running. Ignitor II and III distributors and modules are overload protected and will not be damaged. I have the same distributor as you, only mine is Ignitor I. Likewise I too have a spare module on hand, and hopefully I will never need it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts