Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend and I who are about the same age, (I'm 74) were lamenting how much more difficult it is to finish our respective cars undergoing restoration, due to our reduced stamina and physical ailments. We are both concerned that we won't be able to drive and enjoy the cars if indeed we are able to complete them. Fast forward to last week, when I brought home a complete, drivable 57 2 dr sedan 210. This car is a "20 footer." It was originally a California car, and amazingly, to me at least, is that there is no rot/rust underneath this car. Everything seems original. Heavy undercoating. Tailpan brace original and not rotted, door bottoms solid. The very bottom of both front fenders have bubbles in paint, and very bottom of trunk lid as well. Rockers and floor braces perfect and seem original. The car was originally Harbor blue, but an older lacquer repaint is all black, and is showing it's age. Interior is rather blah, but not deteriorated. It's got a newer 305 V-8, and a Saginaw 4 speed, Hurst Comp plus, sway bars front and back. Odometer says 82k miles and I think it could be correct (?) It has 245/r18 tires and wheels all around, manual steering, single master cylinder. These are soon to be changed. It has a few minor repairs needed, but I will soon have a decent "driver" level tri-five to enjoy, and be able to enjoy an even more fulfilling experience in Bowling Green.
I haven't given up on finishing the hardtop, and I intend to finish it, but I have at least an interim car to enjoy, I'll try & get pics soon. update reality check pics attached

·
Registered
66,172 Posts
sounds good, looking forward to pics.

·
Premium Member
10,674 Posts
Bill, welcome to the scratch and dent contingent! I cannot tell you how happy I am for you that you have a driver. I agree with you 100% because when the window closes, it does not generally open up again. Well done! And btw, you will not believe how much fun it is to cruise around and/or park YOUR car in the parking lot at the host hotel and hang out in the evenings, and how much fun it is to drive in the front gates at the nationals in YOUR car, and if you are brave, and you should be because none of us are getting any younger, how exciting it is to make a fun run in YOUR car! Its a whole different experience!

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
As you get older (and slower), it is nice to have one to drive & enjoy while you work on another when ya feel like it. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
As you get older (and slower), it is nice to have one to drive & enjoy while you work on another when ya feel like it. :)
hillbilly did you happen to make the car show in seymour last sunday it was a good show lot of cars

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
At 70 I'm with you on stamina and motivation. I'm nearing the end of the toughest build I ever started, and can't tell you how many times during the early phases I asked myself what I was thinking to even buy it, or start it. But glad I did, and also glad it's near the end. Not sure I've got another ground up build in me!
I would have loved to have started with what it sounds like you did!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, but beware, I too purchased another car (57’ Belair) to drive while continuing my project (57’ 210 post) that has been taking much longer than expected. I am having so much fun driving the Belair, much of my enthusiasm for working on the 210 is gone. I am now even considering the possibility of selling the 210.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i live in norwalk i have the black 55 gasser that was there parked by the black and silver 57 that was a real nice car
i live in norwalk i have the black 55 gasser that was there parked by the black and silver 57 that was a real nice car
I sent you a PM (now called conversation) . If you go to the very top 0f page, you will see your avatar, (in your case the letter B) click on that and then conversations. to read .

·
Registered
732 Posts
Awesome post. Drive it as is! I'm 46 and worry about the same as far as health. 26 years being a "special" type of G.I. Joe wears your body and I'm worried about shifting gears at 70...do autos mean you ate old? Lol

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
HillBilly 823 - I understand exactly what you are saying.
10 years ago I brought home my project, drove it into the barn and it has been there ever since.
No where near ready to drive and my physical abilities appear to be disappearing rapidly.
Wish I had gotten a driver to work on as needed. Sure would have enjoyed 10 years of occasional driveing.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
A friend and I who are about the same age, (I'm 74) were lamenting how much more difficulty it is to finish our respective cars undergoing restoration, due to our reduced stamina and physical ailments. We are both concerned that we won't be able to drive and enjoy the cars if indeed we are able to complete them. Fast forward to last have an even eek, when I brought home a complete, drivable 57 2 dr sedan 210. This car is a "20 footer." It was originally a California car, and amazingly, to me at least, is that there is no rot/rust underneath this car. Everything seems original. Heavy undercoating. Tailpan brace original and not rotted, door bottoms solid. The very bottom of both front fenders have bubbles in paint, and very bottom of trunk lid asintend to finish it, well. Rockers and floor braces perfect and seem original. The car was originally Harbor blue, but an older lacquer repaint is all black, and is showing it's age. Interior is rather blah, but not deteriorated. It's got a newer 305 V-8, and a Saginaw 4 speed, Hurst Comp plus, sway bars front and back. Odometer says 82k miles and I think it could be correct (?) It has 245/r18 tires and wheels all around, manual steering, single master cylinder. These are soon to be changed. It has a few minor repairs needed, but I will soon have a decent "driver" level tri-five to enjoy, and be able to enjoy an even more fulfilling experience in Bowling Green.
I haven't given up on finishing the hardtop, and I intend to finish it, but I have at least an interim car to enjoy, I'll try & get pics soon.
I feel exactly the same. I'm 74 also. I keep looking at old cars on the Internet. I have a few I would consider on buying. Don't need to be a beauty just a car that is safe and not needing deep pockets. Been looking at 49-52 Mercury's, Pontiac's, Chevy's. I've seen a few under 18k but by procrastinating they were sold. Going to keep looking and thinking about it as I work on the car in the garage. Enjoyed your post.

·
Administrator
63,978 Posts
If you have the opportunity to drive them the way they are do it, enjoy them and keep them on the road

·
Premium Member
10,674 Posts
Seetheusa and I have been big proponents of the scratch and dent contingent at the nationals. just as much fun!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Agreed , a driver quality car can be the best fun and least worries. A friend just picked up a 57 4 door hardtop for 9k , looked to be a grandmas car , power steering, 283, tissue dispenser and no rot . I think he did good and has intentions of it being a daily driver.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts