Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Your recommendations don't appear to be based on reading @sikryd's actual problem.

@sikryd already has electric fans.. 2730cfm if I'm looking at the right model.

He indicated lack of funds was a major problem and that he did not want to upgrade his current fans to the latest greatest electrics. That's one of the reasons I made the recommendation to take what seems like a step backwards and go old school, just for cheap cfm. I'm not recommending old tech just to be a contrarian. I might not be a complete idiot.

To repeat myself ad nauseum, yes mechanical fans use more power at high rpms when pushed out of their efficiency curve. Absolutely nobody is trying to say any different. The actual problem however is "how do I cool my car?", not "how do I save 20hp at 7000rpm?". He's not drag racing the thing, but apparently wouldn't mind being able to drive it without it overheating.

I already recommended changing that out, it wasn't an option he wanted to go with.

Glad you found it entertaining. I'm not defending antiquated tech just to be a contrarian. My advice is based on actually reading the thread and trying to understand the problem and the constraints @sikryd is working with.

With all due respect, if you're trying to help, I recommend actually reading what's already been discussed. Some of the discussion and recommendations might make sense to you then. I might not be a total idiot popping off with a backwards idea for no reason. I like new tech. I like electric fans.

"It's not a hard problem" and "it's not longer entertaining" is pretty condescending coming from someone who apparently hasn't read @sikryds posts before implying the recommendation is idiotic.

I guess "It's not a hard problem" if you haven't bothered reading it and just want to pop off with generic advice like "buy $$$$ electrics you can't afford, because they're always better for every situation, always". Yeah, that was pretty easy.

Again, high dollar cooling systems are not in the budget, hence my recommendation for cheap old crap that works really good, at the expense of some power up top of course.

I'm sure the SY/TY guys know all about cooling constraints, but by now you hopefully know the constraints we're dealing with are completely different. Also, do you think a FI 4.3L V6 (even a hot one) might just dump a little less waste heat in to the cooling system than a carb'ed big block chevy? Oh yeah, and the Sy/Ty platform has a whole bunch more rad surface area than a tri-five..

So yeah, in summary @sikryd could probably go nuts and get a $$$ better radiator, $$$ better electric fans etc. I'll absolutely concede that would be a more elegant solution. But, actually paying attention, he said money was tight, which is why I recommended going back to the stone age with a simple shrouded mechanical clutch fan. It's old tech, inefficient power wise at higher rpms, but you can't beat the cfm per dollar.

But hey, if you have a wiser solution that will double the CFMs for probably under $200, I'm sure @sikryd would like to know about it.

Sorry if I come off a bit salty, but you rubbed me the wrong way implying I'm a fool when you haven't even attempted to read and understand the problem before implying I'm an idiot and offering your own unhelpful advice as the definitive answer.
Never said you were an idiot...in fact I posted the opposite earlier on. No need for salt , sarcasm and jest can sometimes not roll out right in text (Apologies). ;)

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Apparently not for whatever @sikryd has going on with the big block. All we've got to go on is what he says he's checked already. Maybe there are other problems going on, but all the basics have apparently been checked so that leaves me with 'move more air' as a band-aid.

On my car, I use a crappy stock mechanical, not because it's better, but because my car is a dog with a low output 283 and doesn't need any more cooling. Plus, an electric fan would look out of place on my original old junk.

I actually prefer electric fans though, love 'em!. I don't know why people think I'm crapping on electric fans. Maybe it's because I'm too verbose, I'll try to sum it up in one line.

All I'm saying is a crappy, old school, low tech, power robbing mechanical fan is probably the best solution in this one particular situation to give @sikryd more cooling for very little money.
Is that all you were trying to say? Well why didn't you just say that from the start...? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I have aluminum heads and I have electric fans. I don't have the money for a cross-flow radiator. I have headers, they are not ceramic coated but are coated with that Eastwood header paint. I'm going to hang a thermometer in my engine bay to see what the ambient temps get to while driving around just so I can know. I don't think louvers will match on my 56, I don't think any scoops look good on a 56, I don't think running around without a hood looks good on a 56. Really the only thing that does is a tunnel ram or a blower through the hood, both of those I don't have the money for until my extortion payments stop to the ex-wife. Maybe it's time to sell my KTM dirt bike for upgrades on the Bel Air.
Good luck with it, hope the mechanical fan option fixes your issue.

Good read:

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
As @Rick_L stated a few pages back, I too believe there are underlying issues not revealed nor known yet. I had a client install a nice set of fans on his car and it overheated when he drove but would actually cool down and idle staying cool once he parked. His problem was that he had accidentally wired his fans backwards and they were blowing forward and as soon as he started driving the war between forward velocity and those fans was waged. It was actually kind of funny when I think about it.

Jarrod also stated he changed the water pump, it would not be the first time a faulty pump got out of a manufacturer.

Just too much unknowns for me to make an intelligent diagnoses and all the anecdotal tales is not really gonna solve this.

Jarrod, use common sense and go look at your problem from the perspective of a mechanic, (You built this car, you know more about it then all of us combined)

Cooling an engine, (Any Internal Combustion engine) requires some form of heat removal. yours uses a liquid coolant and air. Pretty simple stuff. I am sure you will see what is different now that your car is eating mainland fuel and air.

BBC's ain't hard to cool, and you don't have to reinvent the wheel. Lots and lots of us have these boat anchors under our hoods and the majority of us are able to keep them under control. FYI running a 5:10 gear on the street without an overdrive is not fun, I know, I was a teenager with the exact same set up over 40 years ago.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Never said you were an idiot...in fact I posted the opposite earlier on. No need for salt , sarcasm and jest can sometimes not roll out right in text (Apologies). ;)
My apologies as well, I came off at least twice as salty as I intended.

As @Rick_L stated a few pages back, I too believe there are underlying issues not revealed nor known yet. I had a client install a nice set of fans on his car and it overheated when he drove but would actually cool down and idle staying cool once he parked. His problem was that he had accidentally wired his fans backwards and they were blowing forward and as soon as he started driving the war between forward velocity and those fans was waged. It was actually kind of funny when I think about it.

Jarrod also stated he changed the water pump, it would not be the first time a faulty pump got out of a manufacturer.

Just too much unknowns for me to make an intelligent diagnoses and all the anecdotal tales is not really gonna solve this.

Jarrod, use common sense and go look at your problem from the perspective of a mechanic, (You built this car, you know more about it then all of us combined)

Cooling an engine, (Any Internal Combustion engine) requires some form of heat removal. yours uses a liquid coolant and air. Pretty simple stuff. I am sure you will see what is different now that your car is eating mainland fuel and air.

BBC's ain't hard to cool, and you don't have to reinvent the wheel. Lots and lots of us have these boat anchors under our hoods and the majority of us are able to keep them under control. FYI running a 5:10 gear on the street without an overdrive is not fun, I know, I was a teenager with the exact same set up over 40 years ago.
Good post. I also wouldn't be surprised if there was an underlying issue. I've asked everything I can think of. The great big mechanical fan might just be a band-aid, but I think it has a pretty good shot of getting the car on the road again.

I'd be tempted to test the sender and gauge before going too far down this road too. It's a hassle to do, but on the off chance the heating problem is a gauge problem, it would save some money and aggravation.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts