Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!!

I'm doing a differential swap am at the point where it's time to pull the axles, the problem is that I can't get them out. I have the old differential away from the housing just far enough to let the lube drain and have the 4 bolts removed from each of the bearing retainers. I can't get the axles to pop loose. Does anybody have a sure-fire method that would help me?

·
Registered
305 Posts
You'll need to get an axle puller, or improvise with a chain around the axle hub and a big brick on the other end. throw brick real hard. LOL

Your local auto parts will usually lend you a tool.

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
I'm not suggesting or endorsing that you do it this way, but here is what I did. Having the same problem with the axles not releasing and having removed the 4 bolts, I then removed the brake drum and put it on backyards. I got a small block of wood and a 2lb. hammer and gave the drum a healthy whack. It released then and maybe I was lucky because there was no damage. A friend also suggested using a slide hammer for the same procedure. Good luck.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,855 Posts

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
I didn't have my carrier unbolted or pulled away at the time, but that was an excellent point made by pops. I never thought of that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You'll need to get an axle puller, or improvise with a chain around the axle hub and a big brick on the other end. throw brick real hard. LOL

Your local auto parts will usually lend you a tool.
Hey Finman thanks for the early morning laugh but I almost spilled my coffee!

What I love about old chevy owners is they always come up with ideas that work!

Throw the brick real hard? I wonder if there is a pro baseball player out there that could help me I'm too old to throw that brick real hard and it looks like we have to pull the drivers side rear axel because of wheel wobble!!!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
im 6 ft 200 pounds, not a little guy. i had to fight each axle for over an hour when i broke my spider gears. it was killin me. but they finally came out. and it was worth the fight. welded them up.put on some home made slapper bars. and the car was a whole other animal. ive never been in a car that will do donuts like my 55. it really trips the import guys out when u can drift around there cars in a parking lot in a vehicle older than there parents

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
" if you don`t have an axel puller,a pry bar between the axel flange and the wheel cylinder will work 80% of the time." That is how I removed mine. :anim_25: :gba:

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can take an old wheel and run a chain through the center and bolt it to the axle and use that as a puller. It is like an oversized slide hammer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts