Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just removed my rear brakes, and had to cut the brake line at the wheel cylinder, and water ran out of the line, on the right rear.
I was ordering parts and noticed a spreader bar, is this a normal item as mine does not have a spreader bar. Does anyone have a stock rear brake diagram. And does anyone have brakes without a spreader bar.
Seems the harder I try to get on the road, the more I find to fix.:)

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,430 Posts
Hard to see in this photo.....However, yes, the rears have a spreader bar

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Affinity.

Where did the water come from?
Certain ordinary brake fluids have an affinity for moisture. Over many years, microscopic moisture passes thru the steel brake lines and cast iron master and wheel cylinders, and usually colors the fluid rusty red.

If the water was clear, then it somehow passed thru a larger opening, and recently.

JMO

·
55,430 Posts
Better Photo

·
Registered
38,755 Posts
Water comes in the vent on the master cylinder, there is no way to prevent it. Brake fluid has a tremendous affinity for water vapor, so much that you can get over saturation and puddles of water in low spots, like the bottom of a wheel cylinder.

The "spreader bar" is part of the e-brake mechanism.

·
55,430 Posts

·
55,430 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.