Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 bolt rear under my 55 chevy (same width as stock) and would like to know if i install disc (probably 11" rotor) will i have more clearance for tire installation between the wheel opening of the quarter and the rear end housing?

Thanks

Brink55

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you mean clearance AFTER tire instalation then you need to measure first.
I'm pretty sure the center of the rotor is thicker than the center of a drum. With the axle flange width not changing this would move the tires outward by the difference. Also verify stud length to accomodate thicker rotor - usually not a problem with stock wheels - but if the wheels are heavy duty centers the lugs can get short changed on engaged threads.

If you mean room to stuff the mounted tire up between while on jackstands or lift (limited rebound travel on suspension - then yes the outside edge of the rotor is inward about 2-4 inches (depending on width of drum being replaced) - however larger diameter can eat that up taking away that gained room. But even if that is a problem you can always air down the tire to squeeze it in, and air it back up, or hang the whole rear and jack up the oposite side of the axle to change the angle, or if shock travel is the stopper - disconnect the bottom bolt...

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
...I'm pretty sure the center of the rotor is thicker than the center of a drum. With the axle flange width not changing this would move the tires outward by the difference. .....
As stated above and you will loose aproximately 1/4" inch or more depending on the specific parts used. Can't comment on fitting the tires in past the rotor and fender lip. Mine is a '55 Nomad so I don't have that problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts