Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have stripped nuts on one rear door striker plate on a 4 dr Hardtop. The screws broke off in some, some were re-drilled but off center. They are a mess and I wonder how to get to them without cutting a hole in the fender well. I want to replace them, but cannot find anyone out there who has done this, or a source for new backing plates with the nuts in good shape. Please help!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,270 Posts
Sometimes I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer....But, I wonder if a nutsert will work in this situation.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool, but....

The back of the plate probably is not smooth, but has the nut welded to it, so not sure if this would work or not. I looked up the product and it seems useful to have around, thanks for the info!

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
I have a parts car that rusted on the top area so I looked in at the plate area.Tough to get to from the back even with cutting from the trunk area.May have to work from the front area to replace.Cut out old and weld in a replacement.Just an idea.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that sounds major. That really helps me to know what to expect if it was cut from the back. That is out then. Will have to ask my body expert if cutting and welding in would work structurally from the front. I wonder where I would get the replacement piece then.....thanks much for your efforts.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
Wow, that sounds major. That really helps me to know what to expect if it was cut from the back. That is out then. Will have to ask my body expert if cutting and welding in would work structurally from the front. I wonder where I would get the replacement piece then.....thanks much for your efforts.
The pieces on my parts car are solid but the plates are still attached. If interested I could soak them, remove and cut patches out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine. It's not so much the threads in the nut that get seized but the threads protrude through the nut that corrode and don't want to come back through.

For the ones that broke I drilled, off centre of course :( ,and then used one of those bolt remover bits in a drill in reverse. I heated first with propane torch.

I was lucky in that I got them all out without totally ruining any threads. For yours with stripped threads maybe you could tap them out larger, get a larger size of same kind of bolt, and turn down the head to fit in the striker plate.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will try the netserts, as there are no threads left anymore. It is only one door but it is all three screws that were cemented in. A leak years ago meant rebuilding much of that area already.
thanks to all-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts