Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to the TriFive thread and not numbers savy. I am planning on running a four link setup on my 55 belair and stretching the factory wheel wells three inches. I want to run a 20x10 or 12 inch rim. I've been offered a rearend that's been shortened to 46.5 inches. Is this rearend to short for what I am trying to accomplish. I appreciate the feed back.,:wavey:

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,392 Posts
Welcome!
Adding larger tires on a modified rear is a common subject here.
Hopefully, by stretching you mean adding mini tubs (there's no need to modify the body).
I'm not understanding the 10" deep tire on the 12" rim. -Are you referring to tread width?
And yes, the stock rear is 60". With a 46.5" rear, you'll lose 13.5" or 6.25" each side. You'll probably want something closer to a 56" rear.
I suggest a mini tub, 10" rims and a total tire width of 12.5" or so. Wheel diameter isn't as big a factor as total tire diameter.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I am running a ladder bar set up on mine with 10" rim with 6.5 BS with a 29.5 10.5 "W" tire that has 13.5" section width. The rear was shortened 1" each side, we widened the original wheel tubs 3" on each side, with no mods to the frame and the tire fits fine. If you wanted less BS then shorten the rear more and get a rim with less BS.

Phil

·
12,256 Posts
I'm new to the TriFive thread and not numbers savy. I am planning on running a four link setup on my 55 belair and stretching the factory wheel wells three inches. I want to run a 20x10 or 12 inch rim. I've been offered a rearend that's been shortened to 46.5 inches. Is this rearend to short for what I am trying to accomplish. I appreciate the feed back.,:wavey:
is that 46.5" at the housing or the wheel mounting surfaces? If it's the latter, I think that rearend is too narrow for what you want to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greatly appreciate the comments provided. Adding larger tires on a modified rear is the goal, and by stretching I did mean adding mini tubs. It looks like the 46.5" rearend will be to short for what I am trying accomplish. But you have helped to push me in the right direction and that I appreciate. Hopefully i will have progress picture for 2011. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts