Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I NOTICED THE REAR END MAKING A POPPING NOISE WHEN MAKING TURNS AND JUST TAKING OFF. I KNOW THAT ITS NOT THE U JOINTS BECAUSE ITS NEW. THE CAR IS A 56 BELAIR WITH A 12 BOLT REAR END. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE DIFF BECAUSE IT WAS THERE WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR. ANY THOUGTS?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Rear end

Hi, From the noise you can ear while turning & going, you probably got inside bearings going apart or worst bearing grooving into cage of the diff. You better go to a good mecanic that knows about rear end to fix it before it broke a part.

Probably some one before you had a lot of fun with spinning or burnout contest...
Good Luck.:anim_25:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS RAY, I THINK I WILL SEE A MECHANIC FOR THIS. ALSO WHEN I ROCK THE CAR FROM THE SIDE IT MAKES THE SAME NOISE.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
rear end

Hi, If you got some time before going to mechanic, You may phone some salvage yard around for complete inner cage of the 12 bolt in order to find the part & to knows ahead how much this part cost. The cage should be around $100 to $150 plus time, wheels bearings, seals & oil... :anim_25:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Rear End

IN YOUR OPINION IS THE 12 BOLT A GOOD REAR?
12 Bolts should be very good but if you are in the mood for a new one, this could be the best timing. All trifive guys will tell you to go for a 9'' Ford. You may find a used one for some $5-600 buck... more work but worth the job. You may read some opinion on previous threads on trifive.

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
I NOTICED THE REAR END MAKING A POPPING NOISE WHEN MAKING TURNS AND JUST TAKING OFF. I KNOW THAT ITS NOT THE U JOINTS BECAUSE ITS NEW. THE CAR IS A 56 BELAIR WITH A 12 BOLT REAR END. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE DIFF BECAUSE IT WAS THERE WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR. ANY THOUGTS?
believe Id first change the rear grears, clean ,then add new 80/90 lube, a container of GM posi additive<get from dealership> and then try it, see if noise disapears,
Sounds like your rear end lube/additive broke down, and time for new rear end grease and posi additive

1 - 8 of 8 Posts