Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all can I get a little help with what year/make/model rear ends will keep the same drum to drum measurement as a stock 55 rear....either 9" ford or 12 bolt gm. Thanks Ron

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
A GM 12 bolt w/drums is about 1''+ wider overall than a stock rearend and it helps to have the fender lips rolled...I run a '69 Camaro 12 bolt in my '55 and it is tight. The Ford 9'' needs to be narrowed from what I understand to fit in the wheel well.
I've been told that a '90's S-10 rear axle is almost a direct bolt-on?

You might check the Search function 'cuz there has been some discussion on rearend swaps and I'm sure the threads are archived.:anim_25:

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
A GM 12 bolt w/drums is about 1''+ wider overall than a stock rearend and it helps to have the fender lips rolled...I run a '69 Camaro 12 bolt in my '55 and it is tight. The Ford 9'' needs to be narrowed from what I understand to fit in the wheel well.
I've been told that a '90's S-10 rear axle is almost a direct bolt-on?

You might check the Search function 'cuz there has been some discussion on rearend swaps and I'm sure the threads are archived.:anim_25:
All depends on the rims you run.If you want deep set rims of old you need a narrower rear end. But if the modern rim, like the modern Corvette, is OK you can run a wider rear end.
Jim

·
Registered
646 Posts
First generation Firebird and Camaro are the same width as the 55. I have an 81 Camaro in my 55 that's 1 inch wider per side but the perches were a perfect fit with no mods. Finding the right tire and wheel combo was no fun at all it works. Do a search for rear end widths. There is a site that I can't remember that listed alot of differant years and makes that worked for the 55. Maverick, mustang, bronco, camaro, firebird were a few

·
Registered
948 Posts
Best rearend

:ridinghorse:Midnightrider, If you don't mind spending close to three grand contact Moser and they will send you a 12 Bolt or 9" that will drop right in.

·
Registered
131 Posts
rear end

i hope i got the right rear end for my 57 i just bought a 87 iroc 3.42 posi disc brake rear end for 200.00 complete i am going to go and get it on sat i will let you 's know how it goes thanks for all of the input
thanks bob

·
Registered
36,125 Posts
12 bolt Chevy and 9" ford axles come in many widths, there is no blanket answer for these.

There have been lists posted here and in the modified forum at chevytalk.com that will give you widths on 12 bolt and 9" axles. Hopefully the search can be your friend.

On 12 bolts, Chevelle, Camaro, and Nova axles are the right width but you're competing with people that have these cars and want to upgrade their weak 10 bolt, so prices are high.

A 10 bolt 8.5" axle from a 71-74 Nova is a nice choice, but they are hard to find at a good price.

On 9", it's the same way, lots of Mustang and Fairlane axles from performance cars are right for our cars, but again you're competing with people building those cars so prices are high.

9" axles from early Broncos and from Lincoln Versailles are perfect for mild narrowing but they go high these days too. Versailles had factory discs too which makes them desirable.

Other axles to consider are 8.8" Fords from Explorers. 8.5" axles from late model Blazers. Many of both of these come stock with 3.73 gears and posi, which for many guys means you can use them direct with no mods except welding perches on the housing in the right place.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used a 10 bolt rear end out of a 76 Nova. only change I had to make was the spring perches and emergency brake lines. same distance, drum to drum as the 55.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts