Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate any comments/experience with the use of the aircraft billet wheel adapters. Considering puting a Ford 9" in my 55...these adapters move it out 1" which would give me just what I have now length wise, but then also allow me to use my current GM wheels. Just wondering what kind of comprimise, if any, I'd be making in strength, since the install of a 9" is being done just so I don't leave anything behind during burnouts or hard shifts...it is a manual trans street car,..maybe 425HP.. Anyone use these things in your musclecar with any success?...thx

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
Would appreciate any comments/experience with the use of the aircraft billet wheel adapters. Considering puting a Ford 9" in my 55...these adapters move it out 1" which would give me just what I have now length wise, but then also allow me to use my current GM wheels. Just wondering what kind of comprimise, if any, I'd be making in strength, since the install of a 9" is being done just so I don't leave anything behind during burnouts or hard shifts...it is a manual trans street car,..maybe 425HP.. Anyone use these things in your musclecar with any success?...thx
Ron

personally I wouldnt use them,dont really know how much force/torque these adapters can handle ? but Im sure others will chim in and voice their opinion also :anim_25:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think 1" is the minimum you can get, we used a set of 1" adapters on a 63 Buick Riviera afew years ago. Not big power, but we drove the car for three years with no trouble.
You are referring to the aluminum hub that bolts to your axle studs and has its own set of axle studs that your wheel bolts to, correct?
A friend of mine put late model vette wheels on his 2000 s-10 and he used adapters that were over 3"!!!! And he drives the doors off anything he gets into! No problems for him either.

I will say this...we were constantly checking them, because we never did fully trust them.

Clint

1 - 4 of 4 Posts