Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I don't have pics yet but this weekend they will be up when the truck is in my garage. Here's the dilemma. I believe the rear end in the truck is original. Not quiet sure but the previous owner (my dad). Said it has 4.10s. This isn't going to work for me because the end goal is a truck that's reliable and a cruiser. I could change the gears but I know that's gonna run me about 500. That's even if I can find gears for this rear end which is probably feasible. Second option is I have a GM 14 golf out of the 91 sierra I bought. Haven't measured it closely but rough measurements look like it will fit along with people on other forums stating it will fit. It has "friendlier" gears. So with that in mind, what do you guys think or recommend. Were trying to do this on a budget, building a cruiser and I'm pretty proficient at welding and what not. Thanks for the help. If I do go with the newer rear end, I'm probably also going to put the axle on top of the springs so curious as to how to.go about that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, my 98 Cobra has them and its fun to drive, but not conducive to gas mileage or sustainability on long cruises. it wants to do 85 everywhere. I plan on taking this down to the frame and doing a frame up restoration like it was supposed to be done years ago. Going to start at the back working forward. What came stock in these trucks?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
i got an auburn posi 3.73's out of a late model 4x4 suburban...like a 1988...it's like 64" wide. perfect with my camaro v8 t5...2.95 first gear and .68 overdrive...drops the final drive down to 2.56 or something...cruises nice on the freeway... if you flip the axle you will have to get some rims with more back spacing...almost a flat facing rim, you can still put a centerline stock 8 with some 235's i think...not much bigger

in the photo i think they are 235's...they might not fit with the rear slammed

it's close

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
cost me 200 bucks in the junkyard for a 6 lug posi...500 bucks is too steep. i paid 800 for the truck minus a door...had 350 laying around...165 for a wiring kit...50 bucks for a distributor and 100 bucks for the trans and 70 for the clutch...had a flywheel still on the 350...radiator out of a v8 dodge truck...and twin fans from a ford...never gets hot...even with the camel hump heads and flat tops

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea that's not bad at all. I'm thinking regearing the rear end that's in it may be easier than trying to make the newer axle fit. Already know what's there fits. Ill get a pic up tonight. You think flipping the axle that's in it now will give me more room than if I did the same with the new axle...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.