Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

i took my 55 rear end apart . gears look good .i will install new bearing and put it back togother . does anybody have easy instructions how to put it back togother.
thanks

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,360 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Be careful and try to get ring gear close to where it was before ( wear marks ) it is very easy to get a coast whine using used gears especially if you pulled the pinion out. Normally have to set it up a tad tighter with worn gears because they have already worn in. Just my humble opinion from past experience.:anim_25:

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
Pay double attention to what biggearhead said. You need the gear mesh to replicate what you have now. You don't want to "tighten it". If it needs "tightening" then I think you need new gears.

My personal opinion is that if you have no symptoms to fix, and see no physical distress, you are risking a problem if you tear down to replace the bearings and not the gears too. In other words don't fix what's not broken.

If you want to make other changes like a posi, then that's another story.

If you are keeping the original open differential, check those gears too and replace anything with any wear/lash.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Use some gear marking compound and check the contact pattern before you take anything apart. Take pictures of the pattern on the drive and coast side so that you will know how to set it up when you put it back together. Check the backlash and write down how much it has so that you will know how to set it. This might help a little. http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19773

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
IMHO, this is one of the things that is better left for someone with experience to do. And, I'm the kind of guy that likes to do everything myself.

I bought all new parts for mine and took it to the guy with the best reputation in town. He charged me $150 to set it all up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts