Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 56 that was original 6 with 3 speed, it now has mild 350 with a 4 speed. my question is the rear end I want to either change the gearing or change the complete rear end. which do you think is the beter choice and is there a rear that will fit easily?

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
I would stay with the original setup and use a 3.36 or 3.50 gear set. A 3.70 ratio would get you away from the line a little quicker, but won't be as nice on the highway. The same third member in 55-64 Chevy cars and 56 to 62 Vettes are interchangeable. If the rear end is in good shape, it will take everything you have to throw at it and stand up fine. Remember the 409 and 348 CU IN cars used the same rear end.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ken what are you running for a Transmission/ First Gear ratio? With a 350 cu and 308 gears a Borg Warner ST-10 with a 342 first gear would be fun around town and a blast in the hwy.:D :D :D

Dennis

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Ken what are you running for a Transmission/ First Gear ratio? With a 350 cu and 308 gears a Borg Warner ST-10 with a 342 first gear would be fun around town and a blast in the hwy.:D :D :D

Dennis
I agree with the 3:08 and the hiway part, just watch hard starts and 2nd shifts, I blew out 3-3:08's like that,:eek: but she wound forever in 3rd and 4th.:D
Never did find out where the topend was wrung out the speedometer 1/2 way thru 3rd.:eek:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'll step up, I have run Saggies and have had good luck with the 311 first gear ones, beat on it for years;) at the drag strip. Best run was 13:90 @ 100.37 MPH, Still have it under the bench. It has the 3 lines on the input shaft. They will break with to much RPM on the line. If you want to keep the one you have launch easy then POUND:D :D :D it for all it is worth.

Dennis

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really don't plan on racing, done did it and done broke it. I just like to take it out to drive. any one know where I might get the 308 or 336 gears?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got my fanny in a jam

I have a 56 and would like to make it a daily driver with a little punch. I have a posi-rearend with all the disc brake set-up out of a camaro. I am going to run a big block chevy with a 400 trans. Would the camaro hold up or should I go the route of getting a f--d nine inch or keep the stock rearend and add the disc brake kit? Helllllllp!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I have a 56 and would like to make it a daily driver with a little punch. I have a posi-rearend with all the disc brake set-up out of a camaro. I am going to run a big block chevy with a 400 trans. Would the camaro hold up or should I go the route of getting a f--d nine inch or keep the stock rearend and add the disc brake kit? Helllllllp!
Is that Camaro Rear a 12 bolt if it is it will probably hold up Ok if it's set up right, plenty of 12 bolts out there behind bigblock chevys:D

·
Registered
277 Posts
Is the Camaro rear already under the car? If it is it should be fine if it's in good condition. If it's not you better do some measuring to make sure it will fit with the wheel and tire combo under the wheel well. Lon

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have not installed the rear end yet. I have measured the rearend and it is 56 1/2 inches between backing plates. It will fit underneth. I don't have the wheels yet but I will get them to fit the space between the fender and axle.

Thanks guys for your valued input.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Between the backing plates is not the place to measure. To many varyations on backing plate and brake width to do it your way. You want the measurement from the end of the axle to the other end of the axle. Your stock rear is 60", staying in that guide line will let you run the wheels on it now IF you choice to. In my opinion the wheel/tire combo AND stance of the car is about 30-35% of the "look" of the car. To important of a thing to pick tires & wheels last. Do it rite, pick tires and wheels now then find, cut or? a rear to fit. Yes more hassle and money but in the long run a better way to go. Lon

1 - 20 of 23 Posts