Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about finished with swapping rear end for a 4x4 Jimmy rear end with disc brakes. I know this has been done before, but has anyone used the emergency brakes and if so how did you mount, route, etc the cables to make them work? Would like to see your pictures of your installation of the emergency brake cables. I would like to use the "stock" emergency brake inside handle if possible. Thanks...... Bryant :shakehands:

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
The cables from the 4x4 rear end should fit into the stock cable retainers using the clips that hold them in the brackets. You may need to open the stock brackets a little but all the ones I have seen are the same size. I used some 68 Chevelle cable and c/slotted clips to connect the ends to the stock emergency brake Yoke , It just loops around. I had to shorten the Chevelle cable and I just used cable clamps to tie it all back together. I am out of town but when I get back I will post pics.

Joebowtie-trifive

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cables from the 4x4 rear end should fit into the stock cable retainers using the clips that hold them in the brackets. You may need to open the stock brackets a little but all the ones I have seen are the same size. I used some 68 Chevelle cable and c/slotted clips to connect the ends to the stock emergency brake Yoke , It just loops around. I had to shorten the Chevelle cable and I just used cable clamps to tie it all back together. I am out of town but when I get back I will post pics.

Joebowtie-trifive
Thanks Joe for your input. These cables that are on the 4x4 rear are totally different than the ones that were on the car. These are about 3 feet too long and connect to the backing plate totally different than the others. I'd like to see your pictures when you get a chance as well as what others have done to make the park/emergency brakes work. Thanks again, Bryant :shakehands:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am doing the same swap. My dad did this earlier in the year on his 56. I will try and get pictures of his e brake setup. He had a problem with a cable so only one side is hooked up but will get pics this weekend.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,729 Posts
Bryant...One of our active members has done this swap before....I'm thinking it was Hafrod.....Might send him a PM.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Park brake cable hook up

After replacing the rear end assembly for a 4x4 GMC Jimmy rear with disc brakes, I'm trying to see how to hook up the park brakes using the front half of the stock 55 parts and connecting the cables from the 99 Jimmy rear end. Has anyone done this before and can you share pictures? Thanks, Bryant :shakehands:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts