Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, My rear end is out of my 57, sitting on 2 cinder block where I've started to scrape the 1/4" grime off it. Anyway, I started spinning by hand the part of the rear end that the universal joint is usually connected to and noticed that both drums turned at the same time. Actually, both would turn together, then the passenger side would hesitate a little and then continue to turn in unison with the driver side. Is this how the normal 57 rear end works, or is this a posi rear end? I know the axils have been changed because 2 axils and a 57 powerglide transmission came along extra with the car. Thanks for schooling me.:)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I spin the center piece of the rear end and put my foot on either side, that side will stop, as the other continues.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
It's not a posi, just an open rear end. The drag on the shoes are probably causeing one side to stop while the other keeps turning occasionally. If you hold the U-joint yoke and turn one wheel, the other wheel will turn backwards.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I held the U-joint yoke,spun one side, and the other side did turn backwards. No posi. Thank you all for your input! :tu

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Yes, I held the U-joint yoke,spun one side, and the other side did turn backwards. No posi. Thank you all for your input! :tu
AND....if you hold one wheel and count the revolutions of the yoke while the other wheel makes two revolutions, you can determine the rear end ratio.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did not find a "P" on the case. I did stop one side from turning and turned the other side 2 full turns...the yoke turned almost 3 1/2 rotations, but not quite.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts