Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car is a 210 2 door h/t sport coupe, would it have been a 3:73 posi unit? Havent had it apart and with BBC going in have been thinkin about saving pennies (on GI budget) to buy another rear, however if factory piece is a 3:73 posi, I may just let it ride for a while...Thoughts/suggestions or way to identify welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,865 Posts
Depends whether your car was originally a stick or auto and if no one has swapped the gears out since.....In 55/56 stick shift cars had 3.70 gears and autos had 3.55....OD cars carried 4.11 gears.

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
So my car is a 210 2 door h/t sport coupe, would it have been a 3:73 posi unit? Havent had it apart and with BBC going in have been thinkin about saving pennies (on GI budget) to buy another rear, however if factory piece is a 3:73 posi, I may just let it ride for a while...Thoughts/suggestions or way to identify welcome and appreciated. Thanks!
what ever u decide, just dont get sticky tires out back, especially with that big block, as :eek: there goes that rear end, Other wise u"ll be okay with tire spin :happy0030:
put the bbc in and enjoy here, and keep us posted too

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Don't believe they came with posi though it could have been changed out at some time in the cars life. . Look for a telltale large "P" on the front of the carrier, should be located on the lower right side as you are looking at it. This will tell you the housing is a posi but as many here know an open carrier rear can be set up with a posi. Jack up the rear of the car with both wheels off the ground. Spin one wheel and watch the other. Both should spin in the same direction

Don

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Don't believe they came with posi though it could have been changed out at some time in the cars life. . Look for a telltale large "P" on the front of the carrier, should be located on the lower right side as you are looking at it. This will tell you the housing is a posi but as many here know an open carrier rear can be set up with a posi. Jack up the rear of the car with both wheels off the ground. Spin one wheel and watch the other. Both should spin in the same direction

Don
What he said & none had 3.73 maybe 3.55, 3.70 or 4.11. if 57 you can add 3.36

·
52,865 Posts
Don't believe they came with posi though it could have been changed out at some time in the cars life. ...Don
Good call Don...."57 was the first year for positraction....3.36 for auto, 3.55 for stick, and 4.11 for OD in '57.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, cant believe I forgot about the spinning one side trick..cars been on stands for SOOO long I never even though about it! lol. On another note, if not a posi, is there another wrecking yard car/truck I could steal carrier from for posi (impala/malibu) or even a not outrageously expensive aftermarket posi unit to buy?:confused0006:

·
52,865 Posts
55-64 are interchangeable

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks 557!! in case mine is not a posi, i know where I can find some 62-64 impala rears that I can take a look through! Thanks again!! Someday I hope I can help somebody else out on the site..Lol:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts