Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
If all you are going to do is drive it,yes the stocl rear end will work. If you are going to to be burining rubber a lot--no it will not last. I would look for a f**d nine inch. mabe there some other members will chime in soo with other suggestions.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If your 454 is stock w/stock automatic trans, and assuming your rear axle is tight (no excessive slop in pinion), and your rear tires are relatively narrow, I'd say it will hold.

(Note)There are a LOT of factors that I'm leaving out here. The above statement is a "generalization".

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I am not a rear end expert. When I went in search of info on this subject here I learned that the spider gears in the stock non posi rear is the weakest link followed by the axles. The cheapest way to upgrade (not necessarily the strongest) is to install a 58 to 64 stock posi rear. It is stronger in that it lacks the spider gears and is a direct replacement for the standard open carrier rear. Add to this a set of after market axles and you should be good to go.

Don

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
thanks, Can a stock rear end be built up for moderate driving meaning stepping on it a occasionally
Yes. However, the expense of a posi unit, ring gear, bearings, seals, gaskets and other parts including axles will cost much the same be it a Chevy, (stock or 12 bolt), 9" Ford or a Dana 60.

With any of the others mentioned, there will be the need to have spring pads installed and some issues with brake cables and items will require some engineering/time and expense.

The term "Stepping on it" can be the issue and problem regardless f the type or strength of the unit. How it hooks up and applies the HP. Temperment. Sucsessive times.

Many stock unit was, is and will survive under extreem use.

·
Premium Member
7,709 Posts
NEW REAR?

Back in the 60's you could even tear a 4:88 POSI WITH A 350 . W 7" CHEATER SLICKS. I'VE BOUGHT A 2" NARROWED 9" FOR MY CAR. PUT GOOD STUFF IN THE 9" WHEN YOU START. TRU TRACK, 31 SPLINE AXELS, 3.062 BEARINGS IN A NODULAR IRON CASE WITH IRON DAYTONA CARRIER. AND 1350 JOINTS.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Hey everybody im puttin a 454 in my 1955 chevy.We were wondering if a stock rear end would work, and if not does anybody have any recomandations.
You are putting a 454 and you are in HS....
A stock rear end is probably not gonna hold up. Based on my recollection of my youth.
Jim

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I have bought and sold a few hundred 9 inch fords in my time, The only 1 that I run is the one under my pick up bed trailer. I like the 12 bolt or Dana 60 because a positrack or powerlock is much stronger than that traction lock. Anyone remember the one that someone posted on here a couple weeks ago in pieces. A stock ford truck broke the center out of carrier.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You can ask 10 people and get 20 answers. My 55 had a 12 bolt with a posi out of a Camaro. This time around I am going to narrow it and put the Chevrolet/GM rear end back in my GM built 1955 Chevrolet. Moser has some nice stuff worth checking out. Yes a lot of people go with the Ford 9 inch for the ease of changing the carrier. Do you plan on changing gear ratio's a lot? The 12 bolt is a strong set up. If you ever have to use all of those wonderful 454 cubic inches to their maximum potential, then a strong rear end such as a 12 bolt will serve you well. I "grenaded" my original stock 55 rear end with a 283 after dumping the clutch many years ago and put that 12 bolt in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rear Axle

Back in the day of these vehicles, the Chevy axle would be swpped out for a Pontiac. The Pontiac axles had a larger dia shaft and they heald up better for drag racing. I purchased a 57 Belair 2dr htp two years ago. I bought it from afriend of the family, they have had the car for 40 years. 25 to 30 years of that was spent running on the drag strip in D gas class. The only thing with the Pontiac axle is that lug pattern is bigger and left hand threads on left axle.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have a 454 and plan on staying with a stock rear, just rebuilt and converted to a posi, but I don't plan on nailing it. I really could care less about "Smoking" the rear tires I just want to cruise around. Anyway there are police everywhere now days and I'm not going to spend my time looking over my shoulder to see if it is clear, though it was fun when I was in HS. :tu

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.