Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Mac, I think Rick's right. I installed a pocket kit on my '55 wagon (not CPP but probably identical), and I don't see the problem. Mind you, the car isn't fully back together, but it doesn't look there will be a problem.

I'm pretty sure running the exhaust through there is going to be a problem, though - it's pretty crowded. . Deleting the spare tire well might help, but I'm not sure if I'm up for that. I think I'm going to avoid the whole issue and dump the exhaust ahead of the rear end.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have a spring pocket in my Sedan Delivery and it has the original gas tank and a nine inch as well. The centre of the housing is extremly close to the tank but it does clear.
You could still get your exhaust through there and go over the spring beneath the chassis. I have seen it done and I think it was actually on this site that I saw it done.
After much looking and measuring and looking again I decided to run my pipes under the diff , tank and even the spare wheel well.
They can not be seen from side on and you really have to look to see them from behind.
I also have some small resinators under the wheel well to quiten the car down and they tucked up nice in there.
Some people dont like doing the exhaust under the diff , me being one of them, but I can honestly say that it is definatly not a problem on this car.
I will post some photos tommorow.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Ok here is some pictures. I have made the exhaust so if I get a flat it wont touch the ground and it is still low enough to change a wheel without taking the tailpipe off.
Like I said I am not a big fan of having my exhaust under the diff but I needed it in a hurry so I could get the car registered and that is also why ther is a pair of resonators at the back to quiten it down a bit. It had to be 95db at 1 meter and it was 97.4db but with those two little resonators it went down to 94db what a load of BS for registration.
This is sitting on a crate about a foot off the ground

and this is from right under the bumper

and this is from an angle under the bumper

and one more from a distance

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
Ok here is some pictures. I have made the exhaust so if I get a flat it wont touch the ground and it is still low enough to change a wheel without taking the tailpipe off.
Like I said I am not a big fan of having my exhaust under the diff but I needed it in a hurry so I could get the car registered and that is also why ther is a pair of resonators at the back to quiten it down a bit. It had to be 95db at 1 meter and it was 97.4db but with those two little resonators it went down to 94db what a load of BS for registration.
This is sitting on a crate about a foot off the ground
Looking good
You registration it in Sydney Australia/ California :sign0020:
East Coast Joke.
Now in North Carolina anything over 35 years old does not even get yearly inspection.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
We have inspections on anything older than three years, not that hard if you know the right people.
Also for my first registration I had to get an engineering certificate for everything modified which also cost $1600.00.
I had to pay $3700.00 for my first years registration which include stamp duty and third party personal insurance and Engineers cert. From now on it will be about $1000.00 until it goes up again.

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
We have inspections on anything older than three years, not that hard if you know the right people.
Also for my first registration I had to get an engineering certificate for everything modified which also cost $1600.00.
I had to pay $3700.00 for my first years registration which include stamp duty and third party personal insurance and Engineers cert. From now on it will be about $1000.00 until it goes up again.
Man they soak it to you!
You got to love that ride to pay those prices.

"engineering certificate" sounds like your Building a house.

Last Tag I got was $28 and insurance with out collision will run about $250 a year.
:anim_25:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
That right four cars at $1000.00 each to register for one year plus a truck that is $2000.00 a year but can be paid quarterly. Plus full insurance on top of that which is about another $3000.00 for all vehicles that I have.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello,
I see this tread is fairly old but will see if theres any response anyway.
I too am in NSW & am thinking of going the pocket kit but had a few questions.
It obviously had no trouble with the engineering side of things which was one concern.
I am trying to do most mods myself but this looks quite in-depth & is kind of scary when it comes to cutting up the frame, did you carry out this job yourself & was it hard to do?
It's either the pocket springs, a 4 link which is probably an overkill/expensive for just a cruiser or relocating the leaf springs to inboard of the frame.
Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
I'm only really after 2 objectives, to put the widest wheels I can on the rear(have mini tubs) and to get it to sit fairly low without airbags etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello,
I see this tread is fairly old but will see if theres any response anyway.
I too am in NSW & am thinking of going the pocket kit but had a few questions.
It obviously had no trouble with the engineering side of things which was one concern.
I am trying to do most mods myself but this looks quite in-depth & is kind of scary when it comes to cutting up the frame, did you carry out this job yourself & was it hard to do?
It's either the pocket springs, a 4 link which is probably an overkill/expensive for just a cruiser or relocating the leaf springs to inboard of the frame.
Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
I'm only really after 2 objectives, to put the widest wheels I can on the rear(have mini tubs) and to get it to sit fairly low without airbags etc.
I ordered the relocation kit also along with the PTK4 kit and hope to be installing them within the next few months during the frame portion of my rebuild. The video for the install doesn’t actually look to terribly difficult. I’m new to welding and am gonna give it a try.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
That right four cars at $1000.00 each to register for one year plus a truck that is $2000.00 a year but can be paid quarterly. Plus full insurance on top of that which is about another $3000.00 for all vehicles that I have.
How does a man live over there. No place like the good old USA.:flag6:

·
Premium Member
13,131 Posts
I ordered the relocation kit also along with the PTK4 kit and hope to be installing them within the next few months during the frame portion of my rebuild. The video for the install doesn’t actually look to terribly difficult. I’m new to welding and am gonna give it a try.
since you have the body off the frame flip it over to do the pockets after you do the rear shackle mount.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts