Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a 55 Bel Air 2 door hard top Sport Coupe and when I have passengers in the back seat and I hit a significant bump the car makes noises that sound like something is loose and banging around. When I turn up an incline on a slant the car makes rubbing noises. It doesn't do this when no one is in the back seat. I have replaced the shocks and it still does this. I have gotten under the car and searched for anything loose and everything seems to be tight. I thought it might be my tires rubbing from the extra weight and from the body shifting at an angle when going up an incline on a slant, (liking pulling into my driveway from the street) but I'm having a hard time determining if that's the case. I have 17" rims with TTIC 245/45 R17 95V tires on the rear. I have looked under the car in the wheel wells and can't see any sign of rubbing on the wheel wells or the tires. One of my passengers suggested it might be the springs in the rear seat but the noise sounds as if it's coming from under the car. Any advise and help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Auckland, New Zealand.
7,883 Posts
A while ago I also had a thumping noise from under the rear of the car with 2 rear seat passengers after hitting a bump, and discovered that the diff rubber bumper was gone and the driveshaft was hitting the floor. New bumper and all solved, but very rarely carry rear passengers anyway.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Could be the e-brake cable rubbing on the springs. Also could be the spring leafs rubbing if the spacers are worn out. Keep looking. You'll find it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts