Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the 57 is out of paint jail and going back together before the interior is completed plan is to install seat belts in the back. Have three grand kids that all want a ride in Pop-pa's old race car. Two of them are 4 and 6, still using car safety seats. Oldest one is 16. Looking at Juliano's for belts but see there is a 60'' and a 74'' belt offered. Does anyone know if the 60'' belt will work with a child's safety seat with the belt passing thru the frame of the child's seat? Seems as if using the 74'' belt there will be a lot of excess belt at times with an adult in the back seat. Maybe over thinking this, not sure on length question.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My youngest still uses a car seat and I could never get the belt tight enough and if I did the buckle was right behind her back poking her. I ended up adding mounts for the “LATCH” system it’s called like used in modern cars. They were only like 10 bucks and made it easy to strap the seat in and cinch it down nice and tight..no car seat movement and nothing poking her. The strap and buckle in the pic is like what comes with most car seats nowadays.

Found the place I got mine at:
https://www.strapworks.com/mobile/product.aspx?ProductCode=MBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1aigjtH-5QIVBEkYCh1LLQNyEAQYCSABEgJfGPD_BwE

·
Registered
65,757 Posts
better to long then short. :anim_25: ..... try www.jcwhitney.com, got mine there many years ago.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PhilRazz, not at all familiar with that "Latch" system. Can you elaborate, perhaps pictures showing the install a bit clearer? Both G'kids are 4 and 6, still in the booster type seats. Can install the seats in our '99 Tahoe and my '88 Caprice just fine with stock belts. Used to be my work car, now just a knock around after retiring.

·
Registered
380 Posts
PhilRazz, not at all familiar with that "Latch" system. Can you elaborate, perhaps pictures showing the install a bit clearer? Both G'kids are 4 and 6, still in the booster type seats. Can install the seats in our '99 Tahoe and my '88 Caprice just fine with stock belts. Used to be my work car, now just a knock around after retiring.

This video can probably explain the latch system better than I can:

With most stock seatbelts like in your Tahoe and Caprice the seatbelt buckle(female)end is short and when the belt goes through the child seat and connects, the buckle stays low and near the seat so it gets good and tight when pulling the belt tight. Most of these aftermarket belts that we add to our cars the seatbelts are close to equal length so the buckle ends up somewhere inside the child seat when tightened up good.

I’ll try to get some pics..that probably didn’t make much sense haha

·
Registered
380 Posts
So with the latch belt used the buckle when tightened is down there in the crease of the vehicle seat. Down low and plenty of room to pull it nice and tight.

When I use my aftermarket aircraft style seatbelt the buckle ends up poking her in the back. The buckle end is not short and down low like the latch system or a modern stock seatbelt when tightened. It’s also difficult to get it any tighter because the buckle binds and is up in the back of the child seat.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled the trigger on a set of three black 74'' belts from Julianos with the flip up chrome latch this afternoon. Decided the 74'' length would work better than the the 60''. Just under $95 shipped. Front belts are original GM belts with the GM sticker and retractable male belt. Pulled them from a mid-60s A body back when I was racing my 57.

PhillRazz, May re-visit with you at a future time about the Latch system after get the car back and the interior completed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts