Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I purchased a rear shock mount cross member for my 55 wagon. I did some search's on the shocks everyone recommends and monroes seem to be the norm. My problem is, nothing listed for the trifive models have the bung mount on both end like the wagon requires. Does anyone happen to know of a good shock I can use with the proper mounts on both ends? I've searched Monroe and bilstein and have come up with nothing!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I used Carquests' shocks which are KYB's, I like the ride and handling, always had trouble with monroes leaking so due to failure I would never buy another Monroe shock!!

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used Carquests' shocks which are KYB's, I like the ride and handling, always had trouble with monroes leaking so due to failure I would never buy another Monroe shock!!
I looked on the carquest website per your recommendation and they don't have a shock with the loop fitting on both ends.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Hey all, I purchased a rear shock mount cross member for my 55 wagon. I did some search's on the shocks everyone recommends and monroes seem to be the norm. My problem is, nothing listed for the trifive models have the bung mount on both end like the wagon requires. Does anyone happen to know of a good shock I can use with the proper mounts on both ends? I've searched Monroe and bilstein and have come up with nothing!
Is yours the Williams Classic Chassis wagon crossmember? It's the only one I found with the mount configuration that way. I went with that crossmember for my '55 hardtop. After talking with Earle there, he recommends this style crossmember for all the models even though it is labled "wagon style".
Earle recommended Monroe #31094 shocks. Those have a 12" min and a 19" max. I was a little concerned with a possible topping out with those, so I went with the KYB GR-2 #344044. They have a 12.52" min and a 20.79" max. From my measurements, the 12.52" minimum still won't bottom out even if the axle snubbers hit the frame.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is yours the Williams Classic Chassis wagon crossmember? It's the only one I found with the mount configuration that way. I went with that crossmember for my '55 hardtop. After talking with Earle there, he recommends this style crossmember for all the models even though it is labled "wagon style".
Earle recommended Monroe #31094 shocks. Those have a 12" min and a 19" max. I was a little concerned with a possible topping out with those, so I went with the KYB GR-2 #344044. They have a 12.52" min and a 20.79" max. From my measurements, the 12.52" minimum still won't bottom out even if the axle snubbers hit the frame.
Roger, thanks for the info that's exactly the case, I have the williams! Thanks for the great info!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts