Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bezel and knob but no switch. I would like to use that location for switch to activate a relay for the entire electrical system. Anyone know of a turn on/off switch that could be used and the knob would fit?

·
Administrator
65,344 Posts
Originally its a potentiometer similar to the pic below, you could adapt a switch and incorporate the knob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone had found a switch like I need that would replace the potentiometer, which wouldn't work for my need

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
Any number of audio amps/ tuners will have a similar configuration rotary switch. Just need to find a junk one of the same style. Ck. thrift stores maybe. Might be possible to turn the shaft diameter down if too thick.
Take a look here. RadioShack 2-Pole, 6-Position Rotary Switch
Just because a switch has Double pole double throw doesnt mean you cant use it.

·
Administrator
65,344 Posts
I cannot remember if the hole in the dash is checked out, I`m thinking may not it was just a hole, so you`ll need to match your new switch to the knob, make sure that the shaft length is long enough to accommodate any covering bezel`s and nut

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Jerry, if you are using an external automatic battery cutoff, all you need is a momentary sp contact switch with a 1/4" shaft. Either a push button or twist on/off type. You just need a ground from the switch to trigger the solenoid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jerry, if you are using an external automatic battery cutoff, all you need is a momentary sp contact switch with a 1/4" shaft. Either a push button or twist on/off type. You just need a ground from the switch to trigger the solenoid.
My neighbor has restored couple of 50's Ford pickups and used the choke knob location for a switch. I like the idea of the "hidden in plain sight" idea of a switch location. And there is already a hole in the dash for a switch, now just finding a switch that will fit and accept the original knob?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts