Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
For a stock rear speaker installation, I'd leave the two holes in place and install a factory size 4 ohm 5x7 rear speaker (if you can find one) along with a factory style grille.
Do you have a stock radio (which one?) and the stock rear speaker control?
Footwear Audio equipment Carbon Circle Electric blue
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Hood Rim

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,880 Posts
Every panel that is welded into the body structure contributes to the 'strength' of the body itself... I'd think about that before making any large modifications.

·
Premium Member
'57 210 4dr sedan 383/700R4 and '60 BelAir 4dr HT 350/700R4
899 Posts
You can buy dual speakers (L & R) mounted in a frame which fits into the OEM opening. I have them in both of our cars and they work just fine. Only issue is running another speaker wire from the dash to the package shelf. The aftermarket unit that I replaced the vacuum tube radio with needs L&R in front and back, for 4 speakers. Works fine for us.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The factory cut the package tray for only one rear speaker, which is on the driver's side. That cut consists of two large holes side-by-side, plus holes for the screws.

The reason there's two holes side-by-side instead of one big hole is the metal between the holes supports the speaker grille and prevents damage to the speaker itself. So, I'd leave that extra sheet metal in place. If you have a stock radio, you won't be able to tell the difference sound-wise.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For a stock rear speaker installation, I'd leave the two holes in place and install a factory size 4 ohm 5x7 rear speaker (if you can find one) along with a factory style grille.
Do you have a stock radio (which one?) and the stock rear speaker control?
View attachment 365634 View attachment 365633
Have a after market wonder bar radio. I have 6x9's back there now but I left the 2 smaller holes from the factory in the tray. Thought by making the hole the normal size for a 6x9 might help the sound quality.

·
Premium Member
12,638 Posts
You might be able to assist sound quality by opening the holes up, but frankly, depending on your age, it may not matter all that much when it comes to an older ear if you know what I mean. I cut a second hole in the back deck of my 57 in 1977. Rude and crude. I fixed that in 2015 by welding in a repair panel consisting of a stock speaker hole cut from another car. Keeps the rear deck structrually sound and my aftermarket radio sounds fine, or as snagglepuss might say, good even.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
"I have 6x9's back there now but I left the 2 smaller holes from the factory in the tray. Thought by making the hole the normal size for a 6x9 might help the sound quality".
The new info says there's already 6x9's there.
Opening the other holes does nothing for the sound, except allow for some trunk cavity echo.
Being the car appears to still be operational, I'd guess the reduced structural integrity has not appeared yet, nor have the speakers and grilles fallen into the trunk. 😁

Reactions: 58-GMC

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
"I have 6x9's back there now but I left the 2 smaller holes from the factory in the tray. Thought by making the hole the normal size for a 6x9 might help the sound quality".
Opening the other holes does nothing for the sound, except allow for some trunk cavity echo.
Being the car appears to still be operational, I'd guess the reduced structural integrity has not appeared yet, nor have the speakers and grilles fallen into the trunk. 😁
do you have the insulated back covers behind your speakers

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I haven't crawled in the trunk to measure my rear speaker, but I recall it's a 6x9.

I mentioned earlier about the factory using 2 small holes instead of 1 big hole for the rear speaker. We need to keep in mind how these cars were used when they were ordinary daily drivers, and most were not equipped with the optional rear speakers.

Back in the day, people would set all kinds of junk on the package tray. I think they called it a "package tray" for a reason. :)

I've even heard people mention sleeping on the package tray when they were little kids. Sounds insane today, but when the cars weren't even equipped with seat belts...

By making 2 smaller holes, things were far less likely to poke holes in the cardboard (no rear speaker) or damage the speaker grille (with rear speaker).

Now days, we wouldn't think of putting anything sharp or heavy on the package tray. But, back then...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why would the speakers and grills fall into the trunk? They are bolted to the sheet metal of the package tray.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't crawled in the trunk to measure my rear speaker, but I recall it's a 6x9.

I mentioned earlier about the factory using 2 small holes instead of 1 big hole for the rear speaker. We need to keep in mind how these cars were used when they were ordinary daily drivers, and most were not equipped with the optional rear speakers.

Back in the day, people would set all kinds of junk on the package tray. I think they called it a "package tray" for a reason. :)

I've even heard people mention sleeping on the package tray when they were little kids. Sounds insane today, but when the cars weren't even equipped with seat belts...

By making 2 smaller holes, things were far less likely to poke holes in the cardboard (no rear speaker) or damage the speaker grille (with rear speaker).

Now days, we wouldn't think of putting anything sharp or heavy on the package tray. But, back then...
I appreciate your history of the package tray but what is your point?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I appreciate the responses but I think people are overthinking this thing. People used these cars as daily drivers back in the day with holes in the floors, trunks rotted out and headlights falling out. I don't see how taking a little metal from the thin sheet metal of the package is going to reduced structural integrity of the car we use to go get a hamburg once or twice a week.
Another thought is the factory only made provisions for one speaker because there were no stereo radios back then.
I'm no expert, thats why I posted the question Am I missing something here?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts