Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the ol lady into the garage to try and find out what is going on with the rear end.

Everything is brand new, except the leafs and shackles. New 9", cal trac bars, qa-1 shocks, lines, everything. When I went to go push on the rear end, it didn't budge one bit.....so I put down the tailgate and was jumping up and down, and nothing, didn't move at all. I took of the cal trac bars, nothing changed.....shocks are off, nothing changed.....sway bar off, nothing changed.....I am worried the leafs and shackles are the issue. The leafs are about 10 years old, along with the shackles. How could these bind up? I have taken the leafs off a few times and haven't run into this issue before.

I know, I know....I should have replaced them with everything else, since every bolt is new under the car :sign0020:

·
Registered
37,243 Posts
The shackles may be "flipped".

In a normal correct installation, the shackles should be vertical or close to it.

If the shackles have "flipped", they will be extending forward instead of down.

It's something that sometimes happens with springs that have extra arch in them. Sometimes you can fix it with a big pry bar, with the car on jack stands placed under the frame.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I think Rick has the right answer. When mine flipped up, they would rest on the bottom of the trunk and hard as a rock.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The shackles are vertical on both sides as of now. When I jack up the rear end, nothing gives and everything goes up when I lift the center of the rear end.

I thought the same thing at first too.....there is an arch to the shackles, which way should they be pointing?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I'm pretty sure that...if you look at the shackles like a U, the bottom of the U should be pointing forward (towards the front of the car).

You may also just have binding suspension. It couldn't hurt to put a wrench on the shackles (top and bottom) as well as the front eyelet, drop it to ride height and see what happens while they're loose. Not saying to dis-assemble, just loosen the nuts.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
Rust/crud in between the leaves??
Shocks bottomed out?
what Hutch said^^^

7,082 Posts
Can someone post a pic of the correct angle. I tried new 5 leaf, took out 1 leaf, then new 4 leaf. Now have 6 bags of play sand in trunk on axel and doesn't buck. Not trying to hijack thread. Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will take a picture when I get home tonight and see what you guys think......and then try and loosen up the bolts to see if that helps.

thanks for the help!!! I am just so confused right now.....

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,704 Posts
The above illustration from the 55 assembly manual has always looked confusing to me.....The creast of the shackles should be forward......Here's an actual photo of the right side.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, i was able to take some pictures of my shackles....one of the driver side and one of the passenger side.....The leaf spring eye looks like its in a different position than yours Pops, your leaf goes over the eye and mine is below....is it different between models/years?

Oh, I see my shackles are pointed in the wrong direction.....maybe that is it? Yeah, I went off the restoration guide that I have and it looked like in the image that the shackels were pointed toward the rear of the car, not to the front like in Pops photo.

I guess I will have to try that out.....I did grease everything and put in new bushings when I installed them.....

Attachments

·
51,704 Posts
That should do it Doug :):tu

7,082 Posts
When I went to go push on the rear end, it didn't budge one bit.....so I put down the tailgate and was jumping up and down, and nothing, didn't move at all.

Doug, looks like you are on right track now.
Pops, pics confirm mine are correctly faced.
Numerous past posts have stated not to tighten the nuts on the shakles until you lower the car from the jacks to the floor. This simple statement has changed mine from a log wagon to a really nice ride in 20 minutes. Will submit new post explaining all I had been through on two sets (4 & 5) and this fixed mine. Thanks for asking about yours, it fixed mine. :shakehands::congrats: Lloyd :bowtier:
Pic is of Passenger (right) side.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
Lloyd that was what I was gonna comment on. So often that one error in assembly changes so much and discourages many.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the help guys!!!!! I probably won't get to fixing it until next monday, but I feel sooooo much better now....I was freaking out a little....ok, maybe a little more than a little :sign0020:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, so, I couldn't wait for Monday :) I got the shackles turned around and just that fixed everything.....Nick, you are right, something so small and minor can really mess things up. I also got my Cal Track bars dialed in and the front coil-overs adjusted, since the rear is sitting where it should.....she is going to have a nice stance.

Again, thanks so much for the help guys!!!!!!

·
51,704 Posts
Way to go Doug :):congrats:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok, so, I couldn't wait for Monday :) I got the shackles turned around and just that fixed everything.....Nick, you are right, something so small and minor can really mess things up. I also got my Cal Track bars dialed in and the front coil-overs adjusted, since the rear is sitting where it should.....she is going to have a nice stance.

Again, thanks so much for the help guys!!!!!!
Darn, I was going to ask if you wanted to sell me your CalTracks while they were off the car !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts