Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am installing a rear sway bar. Seems the frame mounts go on the bottom of the frame and attach in the general area of the (out the back) exhaust. The exhaust pipes are directly under the frame (about an inch clearance) and offset over the rear end housing at about the same area the sway bar attaches.
Can you see anything wrong with fabricating a bracket that would attach off the side of the frame, rather than the bottom? Also, if needed, could the bend angle of the sway bar be modified (re-bent) if needed to allow exhaust clearance??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,918 Posts
Am installing a rear sway bar. Seems the frame mounts go on the bottom of the frame and attach in the general area of the (out the back) exhaust. The exhaust pipes are directly under the frame (about an inch clearance) and offset over the rear end housing at about the same area the sway bar attaches.
Can you see anything wrong with fabricating a bracket that would attach off the side of the frame, rather than the bottom? Also, if needed, could the bend angle of the sway bar be modified (re-bent) if needed to allow exhaust clearance??
Thanks
Your tailpipes are not in the correct location, they are supposed to be just inside the frame rails. You will likely destroy the sway bar if you try to bend it. :anim_25:

·
Registered
67,783 Posts
I would look into a local shop bending a new exhaust pipe. :anim_25:

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Your tailpipes are not in the correct location, they are supposed to be just inside the frame rails. You will likely destroy the sway bar if you try to bend it. :anim_25:
Why is the exhaust in the wrong location? Mine is also that way and hasn't been a problem. Now I don't run a rear sway bar and I can see where that would be an issue.

But I wouldn't try and bend the sway bar or add brackets to the side. But not sure that you really need rear sway bars. I just added front a sway bar and it made a big difference, but before then I never ran sway bars, and don't plan on adding a rear one.

·
Premium Member
15,918 Posts
Why is the exhaust in the wrong location? Mine is also that way and hasn't been a problem. Now I don't run a rear sway bar and I can see where that would be an issue.

But I wouldn't try and bend the sway bar or add brackets to the side. But not sure that you really need rear sway bars. I just added front a sway bar and it made a big difference, but before then I never ran sway bars, and don't plan on adding a rear one.
The exhaust is in the wrong location because the sway bars are designed for these cars based on the stock location of the tail pipes. The sway bar ends are directly below the frame rail to connect to the frame. You can't bend the sway bar without destroying it so the options are move the exhaust or not use the sway bar. If you had ever run a sway bar on your car you would quickly see why they are a very good thing to have.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I had the same problem, I had bought the sway bars (both front and rear from CCCI) it's I believe a Competition Series 1" I had mounted the rear sway bar from the rear end but had not done the link to the frame as I wanted to make sure I had the correct location once I had all of the weight on (bumper, and some weight added for gas) I had bought a B/B, duel exhaust with headers from CCCI, I can't remember who made the exhaust system but it's with the "H" pipe. And the the tail pipes run under the frame rails out back. I removed the rear sway bar boxed it back up and will try to sell it. If you take your car to an exhaust shop they'll work around the sway bar, but I had CCCI drop ship the exhaust to Jet Hot Coating and coat the whole exhaust. Not every add on works with other add ons.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
I bought this rear bar from a member who had it powder coated only to learn it would not fit.I figured I had the room after staring at my frame for awhile so I went for it and it worked.Much better improvement since I cut one coil out of the front springs and at hard cornering the tire would slightly rub the fender bolt.I changed the bolts to round heads as well.:anim_25:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
I have thought about a sway bar but most of them look like they will interfere with my Flowmaster tailpipes.

As far as I can tell, the Helwig rear bar will fit fine. So, if I do it that's what I will go with.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hey Rodger let us know how it fits. I've seen that sway bar and wondered if that will work. The exhaust that I have is a Flowmaster 2 1/2" from SRC, through CCCI. Maybe SRC will know of a sway bar set that will work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts