Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still using my stock rear end and have noticed that my axle studs don't seem to be long enough when I put my wheels on. I would like to have another 1/2" of threads to work with. Has anyone replaced the rear studs with longer ones? Here are the stats for the stock stud...

I'm running Torque Thrust 2 rear wheels and the wheels are thicker than the normal steel wheels. I have searched NAPA on line and cannot seem to find what I'm looking for.

I have looked at Summit but hate to buy and then cut some threads off to fit.
Thanks GKK

Wheel Bolt Head Marks : 025, DN
Wheel Bolt Knurl Dia. : .564"
Wheel Bolt Overall Length : 1 5/16"
Wheel Bolt Shoulder Length : 3/8"
Wheel Bolt Thread Size : 7/16"-20
Wheel Bolt Threads : Right Hand

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I have TTII's.

I used these lug nuts:
Gorilla Nuts

They are still 60 deg. conical but have a shank that will give you more threads to grip. The shanks fit the TTII's perfectly and snug. I found it best to use a little grease on the outside of the shank so they slide in a little easier.

My axles still had original studs in them when I bought the car. I replaced them with Dorman studs that were listed for replacements. I did notice that they are slightly longer than the originals.

Also, since these are 7/16-20 threads, you need 9 - 10 turns after the threads grab.
You only need them to thread on just a little more than the width of the stud to have the maximum strength. 10 turns gives you 1/2". With the Dorman studs and these lug nuts, it came out around 10 turns as I remember. I'll double check that number if you need me to.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have TTII's.

I used these lug nuts:
Gorilla Nuts

They are still 60 deg. conical but have a shank that will give you more threads to grip. The shanks fit the TTII's perfectly and snug. I found it best to use a little grease on the outside of the shank so they slide in a little easier.

My axles still had original studs in them when I bought the car. I replaced them with Dorman studs that were listed for replacements. I did notice that they are slightly longer than the originals.

Also, since these are 7/16-20 threads, you need 9 - 10 turns after the threads grab.
You only need them to thread on just a little more than the width of the stud to have the maximum strength. 10 turns gives you 1/2". With the Dorman studs and these lug nuts, it came out around 10 turns as I remember. I'll double check that number if you need me to.
Looks like these are thre ticket!!!! Thanks for the information.:D

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Looks like these are thre ticket!!!! Thanks for the information.:D
You're welcome.
I had the same issue on my front wheels so I am using these all the way around. They make a set of matching locks that I bought also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts