Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By design where do the the rear window drain hoses connect to under the package tray and where did the factory intend for them to terminate?

I've purchased the OEM replacements sometime back and intend to install them upon completion of my mini-tub install. But where....

This is a '55 2 dr. hardtop.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,497 Posts
they go from the package to the hole in the inside quarter near the trunk hinge . the drain into the wheel well area.:bowtier:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,789 Posts
They fit between rear package shelf & inner trunk wall.....Be sure to order the correct ones.....The convertable and 4 door HT are different from the other models.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hoses

Ok fellows, at approximately what location under the molding did the factory intend for these to connect? I visualize these being a press fit into the trough...am I close? Finally, can you access these (2) locations from the trunk side?

I'm right in the middle of doing some extensive sheet metal replacement work including mini-tubs. And prior to cutting away the deteriorated inner wheel wells I didn't see any sign of a hole on either side that would have been some indication they existed...but they had to have at some point.

I've owned my car going on 9 yrs and until I started in on this lengthy project it never was a concern...until now.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The holes on the windshied side are in each corner, you sort of have to crain your neck to see them. The ones in the trunk are opposite the hood spring brackets on the outer wheel well not the hump that as close as I can get. Peter

·
Registered
37,967 Posts
The problem you may have is that the holes are rusted into bigger ones. Once you restore all your metal and have the pieces in hand it will be more obvious where they can go. The exact location of the hole in the drain channel and the hole in the trunk wall is probably not all that critical, just make it so the hose can reach and install the rubber drain pieces before you install the window or trim.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me see if I understand your responses...

So from the rear glass at the corners each hose trails into the trunk thru a drilled hole in the inner wall and terminates over the wheelhouse. If this is correct....it seems like this would cause premature pooling of unwanted moisture in areas you wouldn't want., i.e., rocker panel, etc.

Is this the correct routing or am I still missing something......?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
My 57,2 door hardtop doesn't have drain tubes for the rear glass!
The area under the inside of the backglass is designed so that moisture runs around the sides and down into the inner quarter(under the side glass) onto the top of the front of the wheelwell,where it finally drains out the bottom of the inner rocker at the bottom.
I'm assuming the 55 2 door hardtop is the same,although I haven't looked at one.
Mike.:bowtieb:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gentlemen,

I'll be replacing all glass.....late spring '011. With the info you've provided I will be better prepared to visually inspect what I have or have not. Either, way your insight is helpful as always.

·
Registered
37,967 Posts
On a sedan, there is a semicircular notch in the package tray, more or less midway through the corner radius of the rear window. There is a corresponding hole for the drain in the drain channel below that. The drain hose is adjacent to the trunk hinge as already said and as long as the tube isn't blocked, it's going to drip on the ground.

Not sure how a hardtop is constructed, don't know if all are like 100%'s or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts