Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'v never touched a rearend before!!! (sounds funny) is it better to get a whole new rear axle?or just change gears in original axle?

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,392 Posts
That would depend on your needs. What problem are you addressing?
Are the current gears making noise, are you looking to change the ratio for either more performance or better highway cruising - or maybe looking for more strength? Sorry for the questions, but I thinks we can better answer you question with some background. :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would depend on your needs. What problem are you addressing?
Are the current gears making noise, are you looking to change the ratio for either more performance or better highway cruising - or maybe looking for more strength? Sorry for the questions, but I thinks we can better answer you question with some background. :)
no problems actually,just figured i should beef up a little,,,its a mild performance small block,going to eventually put in overdrive trans. id like to have a little git up and go,but also crusie down the hwy smooth if you know what i mean

·
Registered
166 Posts
You could just have a new chunk built for the rear end you have. It's not hard to drop out the chunk and put in another one. You could have it built with the gears and differential that you want. You need to know what you have now so that you know which way you want to go with it.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Rear End

IF you same going to use 700r4 use a 3.50- 3.70 gear with a new posi unit and call it good. if you are goint 5 or 6 speed stick use the 3.50 gear and a new posi.:D

·
Registered
483 Posts
After reading posts here, I just found a low mileage axle out of a Mercury Mountaineer (same as Ford Explorer). It is 3.73, limited slip, disc brakes, 31 spline axles, and had a sway bar also. Of course some things will have to be changed such as spring pads and such and I plan on getting either new axles with the Chevy bolt pattern or having mine re-drilled, haven't gotten that far yet. But what a package for $175! I am putting it behind a 700R4 and SBC.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm thinking of the same thing for my 57 Bel Air, the Ford 8.8 out of a 95 up Explorer they are strong and relatively cheep let me know if you find out any info on this its nice when you don't have to re-invent the wheel although I might just have to go for it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts