Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think - rebuild an original '55 two-speed transmission or buy a new one? I'm leaning towards rebuild to keep it original. Opinions? :vroam:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:)I guess only you can answer your own question, are you planning to keep it original or not?

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:fahne19:Well I'm leaning towards keeping it original but I've only had the car about a month. I'm thinking original though.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
rebuild original or new?
I don't think they have built a new cast iron powerglide in 50 years. :)
Your only option would be a rebuild, if you want to keep it original and getting parts to rebuild them can also be a problem.
How original is your car? If it's not almost completely original, I would also consider a later model over drive transmission.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:laugh: Point well-taken. But I was meaning rebuild the original or drop a newer transmission in. The car is mostly original, but the interior has been partially restored. My mechanic gave me the name and number of a guy in Billings, MT who has rebuilt them forever. I'm leaning towards keeping it original.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,788 Posts
I would swap in a 700r4. The OD would be nice!!!
Just made the swap to a 700-R4 and am VERY happy :D with it....Better MPG, less wear and tear on the old 265, and less noise in the cabin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts