Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a rebuilt 350 for my 55 and it was from Phoenix Engines. Just getting it running and driving and after 50 miles it has a loud clicking noise from one of the lifters...I've isolated it to the number six cylinder. I have no idea if they put in new liftes or old ones....Pretty cheesey place to buy an engine. Next time I will just buy a new crate engine...
Is this a common or uncommon event to have a failed lifter in a newly rebuilt engine? I'm just hoping the lifter bore is NOT bad. Thanks for any feed back...

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
QUOTE=55rue;1143762]I purchased a rebuilt 350 for my 55 and it was from Phoenix Engines. Just getting it running and driving and after 50 miles it has a loud clicking noise from one of the lifters...I've isolated it to the number six cylinder. I have no idea if they put in new liftes or old ones....Pretty cheesey place to buy an engine. Next time I will just buy a new crate engine...
Is this a common or uncommon event to have a failed lifter in a newly rebuilt engine? I'm just hoping the lifter bore is NOT bad. Thanks for any feed back...[/QUOTE]

believe Id go back to where u bought and, they should stand behind it. And personally I help my son at his engine building shop and its been many moons since weve experienced a lifter not pumping up.
but it can happened, and yes, hopefully this place used a new cam and lifters? for what a cam and lifters cost< its a must>
:anim_25:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
5 or 6 years ago when I was sourcing an engine for my 56, I was scanning the e-bay ads and came across a company in Phoenix that had tons of "rebuilt" engines for sale. I settled on a 350 four bolt main with 330 hp. Before I hit the buy it now I decided to contact some of the folks listed in the feedback list to as them if now that your engine is installed would you still give this company a positive feedback. I picked 5 prior customers at random and sent them an e-mail. Much to my surprise all five took the time to respond, and not one of them had a good thing to say about their purchase. One guy told me that after his installation he had to pull the engine and take it to a local engine builder who upon dis-assembly found that most of the components used were either used parts or cheap chinese replacements. I decided there and then to purchase a 350 core and have a local speed shop build my motor. I was invited in by the shop to see all the parts purchased for my rebuild and to check the bore and the crank before the engine was assembled. The speed shop has since closed and the owners retired. If I need another any time soon I will go with a new GM crate motor only.

Don

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I wanted a nearly stock 400 SBC, (“nothing beats cubic inches”) and in 1996 I found a complete and disassembled a ’72 511 casting with one bad rod a local stock car driver no longer needed. I took it to a local builder with a good reputation, Mike’s Speed Shop in Murfreesboro TN. I spent a little more than buying a new 350 crate engine from Chevy but with just a mild build it has more cid (406) and torque and is a great no fuss street engine. I now have 40,000 miles on the engine with needing to do nothing more than change spark plugs a few times and adjust the valves once.

We cruise in it on most pretty weekends, Friday night cruise-in in Murfreesboro and Saturday night cruise-in in Mt Juliet and take long rides to distant events, Blue Suede Cruise in Tupelo MS, Somernites in Somerset, KY, Shiloh Civil War Battle Field, TN. It easily pulls a Muncie M-20 with a 3.08:1 rear end and gets 16+ mpg on regular pump gas, but then I don’t have PS or air, just power disc brakes.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've called them numerous times. Finally after four weeks the head man called, and he sent me to a garage that does all his warranty work. It was suck a dump that I decided not to leave it there....and to take care of it myself...I've learned a big lesson on this transaction. I would never believe anything Phoenix Engines in Phoenix Arizona had to say about there services...One run around after another...

·
Registered
381 Posts
I purchased a rebuilt 350 for my 55 and it was from Phoenix Engines. Just getting it running and driving and after 50 miles it has a loud clicking noise from one of the lifters...I've isolated it to the number six cylinder. I have no idea if they put in new liftes or old ones....Pretty cheesey place to buy an engine. Next time I will just buy a new crate engine...
Is this a common or uncommon event to have a failed lifter in a newly rebuilt engine? I'm just hoping the lifter bore is NOT bad. Thanks for any feed back...
Pull the valve cover and adjust the valves while engine is running. Back off the noisy rocker arm until it is appreciably louder then slowly tighten until quiet. Tighten it no less than a 1/4 turn and no more than 1-1/2 turns. You can use the rocker arm clips to cut down on oil splash.

Just had this same thing to fix on the pro-built BBC in a friend's 1000point 66 SS396 Chevelle.

paul

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after much work we found a bad lifter on the 6 cylinder exhaust valve....They were not quality lifters...the type you buy on ebay for 35 bucks....ordered a set from comp cams since it was built with a comp cam....hope this solves my problem...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.