Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rebuilt the WCFB in my 118,000 original mile 57 Bel-Air. It's actually pretty simple to do, so don't be afraid to tackle one. I used the NAPA kit that was made in the USA. Very happy with the hard pieces and the gaskets, although not all gaskets necessary were in the kit. My carb was missing the pump discharge needle valve, that was quite a surprise. Luckily, it was furnished in the kit. My metering rods had the 2 washers on top with the smaller hole ones being above the larger bore ones. The gaskets between the throttle flange and the carb body and the throttle flange to intake manifold were really bad, hence my problems.

The old worn our intake manifold gasket was allowing exhaust gases to escape from the throttle flange into throttle bores that caused rust and corrossion and white smoke, from I suppose, moisture. The primary throttle plates being steel were rusted. Cleaned those and the throttle bores up.

The intake gasket, in the kit, closes off the exhaust gases from entering the throttle flange, a better design from what I can see. Anyway, car is running a lot better and most improved is the idle circuit.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top