Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody found a good option for replacing the rotary switch in the basic recirculating heater? I'm probably not going to hook up the heater core at all since this is a street rod but I thought it might be a good idea to be able to blow air past the windshield.

Hand Gesture Finger Font Material property
Table Finger Wood Material property Font

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,758 Posts
Is that a pic of the one that you have now? Not sure why it needs replacing?

·
55,758 Posts
I don't think the switch works. There was some goofy aftermarket switch wired in the car under the dash.
Should be able to check it out with a meter?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My 55 has a recirculating heater but the switch is a rheostat that you turn to control fan speed. Yours looks like a multi position switch. I wonder which is correct from the factory?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
It looks like yours from the front. I was able to get a picture of the back with my phone.

Gas Auto part Nut Wire Electrical wiring

·
Registered
Denver, Colorado 1956 Nomad
2,223 Posts
Have you tested your old switch yet to see if it works?
Doing a quick Internet search I can't find anyone making this switch anymore.
A few sellers on eBay sell new NOS heater switches like yours for a 55.
You can also do a more thorough search and maybe find a better price elsewhere. Search for GM part #3757698

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help, I took the back off and the contacts were all black. It's a fairly simple design.

You never really know if yours was installed at the factory or not. It seems they did a lot of stuff to keep the assembly lines rolling back then.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I find this all very interesting, maybe the factory used two different switches? Did a Google search and found this OEM switch which is the same as with my 55. Maybe somebody knows the part number for the rheostat style switch?

Product Font Brand Advertising Slope

·
55,758 Posts
I find this all very interesting, maybe the factory used two different switches? Did a Google search and found this OEM switch which is the same as with my 55. Maybe somebody knows the part number for the rheostat style switch?
Always amazed me of how "proud" they were of that switch.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Multiple Ebay listings for NOS switches

·
55,758 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts