Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few years I have realized what my father has done for me and my '55.Here's a list of things he has picked up for me-the Centerforce DF clutch,l.e.d. front marker lights and flasher,l.e.d. taillight lenses,housings and bezels,new motor and trans mounts,an old white Hurst 4 spd shift knob he used to use in his '57 bel-air,a 10bolt 8.5" rear with posi and 3:73's,a brand new Mallory HEI h.o. distributor and countless hours on the phone for advise and actually coming to my house for each engine and transmission swaps.I am sure I will remember more but i cant at the moment.One thing I can say to him is THANK YOU.
Hope I dont sound to corny but I needed to acknoledge what he has done for me and what I just typed in was only a small amount in my 37 years.Anyone else have an influential person in there past or present that has been there through thick and thin?Thank yo for reading.
GREG

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,369 Posts
I met Greg and his dad at the race track in NH last year.....Two very good guys.....Greg is a chip off the old block.

Greg....You are a lucky man....Wish my dad were still here to talk and enjoy cars with me.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MENTORS

Thank you POPS for the kind words,but thats typical of other good people.
MICKEY-you are right there,thats the only thing in the world that is free.
GREG

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
:congrats: Well Done Greg... You can never thank a parent enough!! Memories.... build as many as you can with your Dad. Me and my Dad spent 5 years building our '57 (2003-2008). During that time span he had major COPD. He was able to attend one car show in June 2009. Then passed away Dec. 2, 2009. We knew he was ill before we started our '57 build. But he wanted to do this project. It was like he wanted to leave something behind to me... Me and my Dad were always close through my whole life. When he passed I felt like part of me left. Cherish every moment you have with your Dad and never be ashamed to show your love for your Dad!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
:congrats: Well Done Greg... You can never thank a parent enough!! Memories.... build as many as you can with your Dad. Me and my Dad spent 5 years building our '57 (2003-2008). During that time span he had major COPD. He was able to attend one car show in June 2009. Then passed away Dec. 2, 2009. We knew he was ill before we started our '57 build. But he wanted to do this project. It was like he wanted to leave something behind to me... Me and my Dad were always close through my whole life. When he passed I felt like part of me left. Cherish every moment you have with your Dad and never be ashamed to show your love for your Dad!!!!!!!
...........................:tu

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Way to early -

Dad's always go way to early - that's why it's so important to spend time with them and treat every day as special. There's a special bond that exists between a Dad & a Son or Daughter. They may not always say what they feel, many are kinda quiet, you've got to watch their eyes to see their soul.

My Dad and I spent many hours in the Garage at night working together on the Drag Cars, not always talking, just working. I cleaned parts, he did assembly and every once in awhile he'd let me do something. We would ride out to the Drags together in the '39 Chev Coupe or one of the '39 Chev Sedans , those were the Best Times. That's when you ran what you "brung". I can still hear the deep throaty roar of those 302 cubic inch Jimmy's. We did this all through my teenage years. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I didn't really appreciate it then as much as I do now. I miss him a lot! Do yourself a favor - go give your Dad a Hug and tell him you Love him! :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Greg That was the coolest post!! You are luck to have Dad and His Help!! I'm sure that All of Us are in envy of such and especially thankful of the bond You share!!!!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
If not for my parents.............. I probably wouldn't own a '57 Chevy. Not for the past 38 years anyway.

Plus they helped put up a building to store them in.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am surprized that you guys like this thread and really glad you do.Thank you for the kind words and responses.I also forgot to mention he was instrumental for me in getting my '55.He lent me a few bucks to get it with the no interest payback.I told him when I sell my beloved 1990 454SS I would pay him back in full and i ended up selling it 3 or 4 days later and ran right over to his house to pay him in full,what a relief that was.I must admit he was like a drill instructor when my brother and I were kids but thats where you learn and recieve respect as I see it.He has softened up since he/we have gotten older and thats ok with me,it just made him a better grandfather to my niece and nephew.I hope that some of you guys and girls have had a family member or friend that kept you going.I recall when all I wanted was a '57 tudor hardtop like the one he used to own but when he came home one day and told me of a 1 owner '68 Camaro that got my wheels turning.We went to look at it that weekend and that was in 1995 and I still own that car today.I found the '55 myself through a friend and have owned that since 2006.Talk soon.
GREG

·
Registered
524 Posts
Congrats Greg and great story about the bond you share with your dad. When I was in my young teens my dad was a electronic tech working on radios, tvs, stereos, you name it, he was the one who taught me how to read schematics and work on wiring harnesses. He never was much of a car buff, but learning the electronics side helped me to fix cars and motorcycles electrical systems and I will always remember him for that and also being my long time fishing partner. I lost my dad in '04 and still miss him, so treasure the moments and times you have with your dad. Rock On!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts