Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car: 1956 150 sedan, 454, 750 Holley 3310, TH400, 12-bolt posi w/3:34 gears. Stock fuel tank.

The problem: The 25-year old 8012S Airtex fuel pump became intermittent. I replaced it with a new, same pump, which quit after 60 miles. The I replaced that pump (warranty exchange) with another new 8012S Airtex, and it, too went about 60 miles before quitting. Hot wiring the new pump on the bench did nothing - both of the new pumps were dead. The old pump actually has some life left, just not consistently.

The installation is exactly the same as the original pump. I have the pump on an electric relay from the ignition switch, am definitely getting battery voltage to the pump. The ground is to a bare/non-painted spot in the frame. The pump sits below the tank. There is a fuel filter between the tank and the pump. I am using 3/8" steel tubing, with stainless steel fuel hose from the hard lines to the pump. I also run an adjustable fuel pressure regulator under the hood, set to 5 1/2 lbs.

The question: What is the consensus on a dependable electric fuel pump? I have heard of reliability issues with the Holley red pump, and actually some stories about the Airtex (I can add my story now).
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Electric fuel pump

Ernie,
I have been through a few electric pumps and as a brand I like Aeromotive.
I had an Edelbrock fail in less than 5K miles.
Pete

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I put Holley Blue on everything and haven't had a problem yet. One has been on for 10 years now. I do run return lines back to the tank though.

Don

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Anything but a Holley Red.
Same experience with a red holley here too. Replaced it with a mallory. Later disassembled the holley and use it as a transfer pump and other periodic uses. This must be the true duty rating as it is still working, just 1/2 dozen times a year. Sad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for 25 yrs +

and finally replaced it, with another, it did still run, but was rusty and corroded, and I felt better about replacing it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p4070?seid=srese1&gclid=CODSn5OGhroCFckRMwodCx8AGQ
Thanks for all the comments!

I called Airtex, and the tech guy says "Why are you running the 8012S? It only flows 30 gph and is a solenoid/piston pump. Run a E84070 - flows 72 gph, is a vane type, and is much better suited for your car." So I returned the (second) defective pump to Summit and ordered the E84070. Check it out - look familiar? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atx-e84070/overview/. I'm guessing Carter and Airtex both are made in the same plant (Fairfield, IL).

I am looking forward to my first longish road test. :p3: If cruzn57 and Fun56 have had good luck maybe I will, too. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well, I was also trying to decide on an external high flow pump to use with a stock tank.

You guys answered my questions...THANKS :shakehands:

·
Premium Member
11,707 Posts
Yep, that's the Carter pump. Very dependable, reasonable psi (won't over power the needle and seat), needs no regulator, and ideally suited as a back up pump because of the vane design. You can actually plumb this pump in the system, have both the mechanical and electric pumps in place, and then not run the electric pump until needed or warranted. My car is set up this way because the 6 cyl pump can not keep up with the multiple carbs at the dragstrip so I run the pump at the strip or sometimes in the really hot weather if I am driving on the street. Not very high tech but does the job.

·
Premium Member
11,707 Posts
You might need two filters then. With the carter pump, the internal pump itself is awash in fuel which is how the pump keeps cool. What kills these type pumps, besides poor wiring and grounding (leading to overheating), is dirt and debris in the pump via the fuel. So with the Carter, you have to have a filter before the pump. I run two, a second one up close the the carbs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:

So I installed the Airtex/Carter pump with new braided fuel line and measured the fuel pressure - close to 9. It was running rich and not willing to idle below 2000 rpm, so I bought and installed a Holley regulator and set it to slightly less than 6psi. With the regulator installed I had to readjust the carb settings. I think the old Airtex pump was not pushing enough fuel, and I may have to jet it down (primaries are 82s, might have to go back to 80s or 79s).

I've put about 50 miles on it, and it seems to be running fine, actually feels better than it ever has. I'm not ready to declare victory, but I am feeling pretty good about this new pump and regulator setup. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Looks like the Carter will work for me. I'm planning on running a carbed L98. Anyone have pics of their mounting locations?

·
Premium Member
11,707 Posts
It's a great pump and it has always surprised me that more have not opted to use it.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I'm curious to know if you guys are removing your mechanical pumps once you have installed your electric ones.

I'm leaving my mechanical in place. I use a toggle switch that one side is always on, center is off, and the other side is momentary (snapping back to off). Right or wrong, I feel this gives me the most security that I will have fuel to the carb with redundant pumps.

I use the momentary switch to reduce the long cranking after the car has sat for a long time, then can simply let go of the switch and let the mechanical take over. Should the mechanical fail, I would turn the electric on and leave it on while the car is running.

Does this method have any merit?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I am currently running a Edelbrock Quite Flow and as yet I have had no issues. I run a good ground, a Relay, a Fram canister fuel filter between the tank and pump, and another Edelbrock fuel filter before the carbs!
Ran the Holley Blue with a regulator in an old car..it also worked well except it was loud..the Edelbrock is quite!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts